History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Obelisk and 2 Piers 70 Yards to North East, 1 Mile to North East of Boconnoc House

A Grade II Listed Building in Boconnoc, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.421 / 50°25'15"N

Longitude: -4.5998 / 4°35'59"W

OS Eastings: 215413

OS Northings: 61136

OS Grid: SX154611

Mapcode National: GBR N8.QSBR

Mapcode Global: FRA 177Y.5SX

Entry Name: Obelisk and 2 Piers 70 Yards to North East, 1 Mile to North East of Boconnoc House

Listing Date: 27 August 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1136667

English Heritage Legacy ID: 60512

Location: Boconnoc, Cornwall, PL22

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Boconnoc

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Boconnoc

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Braddock

Listing Text

SX 16 NW BOCONNOC BOCONNOC PARK

6/15 Obelisk and 2 piers 70 yards
to north east, 1 mile to north-
27/8/52 east of Boconnoc House
-
II

Obelisk and 2 piers to north-east. Obelisk, 1771, for Thomas Pitt, 1st Lord
of Camelford. Inscription 'In gratitude and affection to the memory of Sir Richard
Lyttleton and to perpetuate that peculiar character of benevolence which rendered
him the delight of his own age and worthy the veneration of posterity MDCCLXXI'
Ashlar granite blocks with inscribed slate tablets on the north-east face.
123 feet in height. Tall square plinth with cyma reversa and ovolo moulded tall
base. Obelisk, square in plan and slightly tapered. Surmounted by pyramidal cap.
Stands on grassed square battery.
70 years to north-east are 2 classical shrines which frame the vista when the
obelisk is approached along the mile long straight drive from the north-east. Circa
1771 or slightly later. Rusticated ashlar granite and pedimented. Comprising 2
rectangular piers each decorated on north-east and south-west faces with blind
round arches with Gibbs surrounds below pediments with recessed tympanii.


Listing NGR: SX1463360557

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.