This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4159 / 50°24'57"N
Longitude: -4.6097 / 4°36'34"W
OS Eastings: 214693
OS Northings: 60594
OS Grid: SX146605
Mapcode National: GBR N7.R3RZ
Mapcode Global: FRA 177Y.FZG
Entry Name: Boconnoc Parish Church (Dedication Unknown)
Listing Date: 21 August 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1140355
English Heritage Legacy ID: 60506
Location: Boconnoc, Cornwall, PL22
Civil Parish: Boconnoc
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Boconnoc
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 16 SW BOCONNOC BOCONNOC PARK
3/7 Boconnoc Parish Church
Parish and manorial church, dedication unknown. Nave circa C14 with south
aisle and short north chancel aisle (family chapel) circa late C15. South porch
circa C16. South west turret attributed to George Matthew Fortescue who died in
1877. Restored in 1873. Repaired 1935 by grant from Church Building Society.
Nave and chancel with moulded granite plinth and roughly coursed stone.
Coursed stone on south aisle with moulded coping to parapet. Rubble stone to north
chancel aisle and snecked stone in porch. Rag slate roofs.
Nave and chancel under one continuous roof. Chancel projects beyond 2-bay
north chancel aisle. 6-bay south aisle projects slightly beyond nave at west.
Tracery considerably restored in 1873. East window 3-light C19 Perpendicular
tracery. Three 3-light windows with C19 round heads on north side of nave.
Mullions, hoods and drips original. Two 3-light and one 2-light Perpendicular C19
windows to north chancel aisle. South aisle east window with 2-light Perpendicular
window with C19 cusped heads. Hoods and mullions appear original. Three 3-light
C19 Perpendicular windows on south of south aisle. West door in west end of south
aisle with Tudor arch with roll moulding. C19 2-light window with intersecting
Engaged octagonal turret with splayed arched openings, 1 an earlier reset
window. Octagonal bell turret above with splayed elliptical arched openings and
battlemented parapet above a string course.
Gabled porch with pointed arched opening. Sundial inscribed RC DT TG 1716 set
at an angle above.
Interior: 6-bay arcade with type A (Pevsner) granite piers with octagonal
capitals and moulded bases. Identical 2-bay arcade to north chancel aisle.
Original waggon roof to nave ceiled with carved arcade plate and bosses. Waggon
roof to north chancel aisle restored and partly replaced. Some original bosses
with carved arcade plate remaining. Waggon roof to south porch restored. Soissor
brace roof, C19, to south aisle.
Musicians gallery at west end of south aisle.
Furnishings: seating - largely replaced, some in late C19, but earlier
benches with fielded panels on south of south aisle. Possibly C18 decorated bench
ends with carved naturalistic foliage have been incorporated into the east side of
the front benches of the nave and into benches at the east end of the south aisle.
Rood screen, circa early C16, possibly taken from Bradoc Church (q.v) has been
used as a parclose screen to the north chancel aisle. Comprises 2 sets of 3 panels
divided by arcade pier with Perpendicular tracery on partly restored base with
banded quatrefoils and blind arches.
Font, circa C15. Stone, on recarved octagonal base. Square with cushioned
bowl decorated with cusped decorative patterns in circles. On tall cylindrical
shaft with four engaged octagonal capitals to round shafts, one at each corner.
Octagonal oak pulpit, 1629, decorated with cherubs holding musical instruments at
each corner. Panels of carved naturalistic foliage, slightly cruder than those of
reused bench ends. Original timber base.
Reredos, erected 1888 reusing carved wood from Boconnoc House. Carved oak
altar table with inscription 'Made by me Sir. Raynold Mohun, 1621.' Oak seat to
left of altar table '1659 I H'.
14 Chippendale chairs in north chancel aisle. Large plaster royal arms of
Charles II, probably by Michael Chuke of Kilkhampton (q.v. Kilkhampton, Launcells
and Markam Churches).
Monuments: to Penelope Mohun, 1637 on north wall of east end of south aisle.
Kneeling figures of woman looking towards altar. In aedicular surround with
cherubs in spandrels and wreath of foliage behind figure. Painted, slate and
At high level above arcade on south of nave are 2 fine carved reliefs. 1 on
west of woman kneeling, facing altar. In rectangular surround. That on east with
figures of time (with hour glass) and death (skeleton) standing by sleeping figure.
Several decorative C17 slate gravestones have been reset into floor of nave
and south aisle.
Sources: N Pevsner and E Radcliffe, The Buildings of England; Cornwall 2nd ed.
1970. Kelly's Directory 1889. C Henderson, The Cornish Church Guide 1925 rp 1964.
Boconnoc Estate and Church guide F.A.Paley Illustrations of Baptismal Fonts, 1844.
Listing NGR: SX1463360557
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings