This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4336 / 51°26'1"N
Longitude: -2.7612 / 2°45'40"W
OS Eastings: 347183
OS Northings: 170789
OS Grid: ST471707
Mapcode National: GBR JH.NXVM
Mapcode Global: VH88R.3749
Entry Name: Christ Church
Listing Date: 20 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1136776
English Heritage Legacy ID: 33718
Location: Nailsea, North Somerset, BS48
County: North Somerset
Civil Parish: Nailsea
Built-Up Area: Nailsea
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
NAILSEA C.P. CHRISTCHURCH ROAD (north side)
ST 47 SE
4/53 Christ Church
Parish church. 1843 by Scott and Moffat, with C20 addition. Coursed sandstone
rubble, limestone dressings, slate roofs with raised coped verges, C20 addition
in reconstructed stone with asbestos slate roof. Nave, south porch, north
vestry, chancel and north organ chamber. Designed in the Commissioners'
tradition, Early English style. 5-bay nave has pointed arched west door with
surround of 2 chamfered orders, paired jamb shafts and hood mould with ballflower
stops, large triple lancet above with engaged shafts to sides of lights, central
light taller, similar hood mould and stops, string course raised above door to
cill of window, weathered angle buttresses; bellcote with pointed arched
openings, jamb shafts and buttresses, blind trefoil in gable; to north, 4 paired
lancets with continuous cill string and hood mould, broken by buttresses, bay to
east has single storey gabled vestry with 2-light casement and door, plinth; to
south a paired lancet to west, 2nd bay has gabled porch with 2-light trefoil-
headed window to each side, pointed arched door in surround of 2 chamfered
orders single jamb shafts and similar hood mould, cross finial; attached to
porch, single storey C20 addition for church rooms; 3 further bays to east as at
north. 2-bay chancel, lower than nave, 2 lancets to south and one to north,
plinth, cill string and continuous hood mould, 3-light east window, triple lancet
with hood mould, stops and cill string, angle buttresses; organ chamber attached
to north has chancel string courses continued over pointed arched door and
lancets. Interior: nave has 5-bay roof, arched braces rising from stone
corbels, collar, queen-posts and braces to upper collar; C20 gallery across west
end and pointed segmental-headed door to vestry. High pointed chamfered arch to
chancel with upper inner order springing from corbels, chancel has similar 4-bay
roof, central truss with pendants to vertical members. Fittings: panelled
wooden reredos in chancel, hexagonal carved wooden pulpit in nave, stone octagonal
font in nave on stem with 4 shafts, brass candelabra in nave.
(Sources: Pevsner, N. : Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol 1958).
Listing NGR: ST4718370789
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings