This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.1282 / 50°7'41"N
Longitude: -5.5759 / 5°34'33"W
OS Eastings: 144524
OS Northings: 31472
OS Grid: SW445314
Mapcode National: GBR DXMB.LQZ
Mapcode Global: VH05H.91LK
Entry Name: Trengwainton House
Listing Date: 7 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1136818
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70456
Location: Madron, Cornwall, TR20
Civil Parish: Madron
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Madron
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 43 SW
6/111 Trengwainton House
Country house. On site of Tudor house. Part of front probably C18, remodelled circa
1810 for Sir Rose Price and extended probably early-mid C19. In 1881 (datestone on
north front) the remains of the Tudor house and much of the C18 and early C19 work
was demolished and rebuilt for the Bolitho family. Sundial on left-hand wall
inscribed RO 1723. Granite ashlar front, some stucco mostly dressed granite brought
to course and granite rubble with dressings. Parapets and some of the chimneys are
limestone. Mostly hipped dry Delabole slate roofs with central valley.
Plan: deep plan; probably C18 front wall and left hand wall of front left room, circa
early to mid C19 rear service wings, otherwise rebuilt in 1881 (or possibly partly in
1897). 2 large reception rooms, with large C19 window bays projecting at the front,
flanking former C18 entrance hall. Behind the right hand room is the C19 entrance
hall with large entrance porch on the right side of the house. There are other
reception rooms behind including 1 at left with canted bay and 1 at right with canted
bay of 2 storeys. This large late C19 block is linked to earlier C19 wings at the
rear including a kitchen and service accommodation. Classical style.
Exterior: Mostly 2 storeys plus attics. Originally symmetrical 3:1:3 bay east front.
Central entrance bay with late C19 distyle-in-antae Tuscan porch. Flanking bays are
surmounted by triangular pediments which are supported on shallow pilasters, a
balustraded parapet between the pediments. In front of the ground floor are large
late C19 window bays with 3-light window, left, and pair of 2 light windows, right.
Balconies with plain parapets over. Mullioned windows with transoms to ground floor,
circa mid C19 Y-traceried sashes to first floor. Central window has wider elliptical
arch, others are round-headed. French windows to the balconies inserted probably lat
C19 to bays central to the pediments.
North entrance front is probably 1881 except for 3 storey wing, far right, which has
many original circa early or mid C19 12-pane hornless sashes and internal window
shutters. The 1881 part has balustraded parapet, large Tuscan distyle-in-antae
closed porch with central round-headed doorway towards left and 3 window canted bay,
right. Mostly 12-pane horned sashes.
South garden front has 2-3 storeys circa early-mid C19 wing left with many original
hornless sashes and internal window shutters. Far right is the stuccoed return wall
of the C18 house pierced with C19 and 020 windows. 4-bay middle of front is probably
1881 or 1897 with canted bay to ground floor right. Original horned sashes.
Interior: not inspected.
The C18 house was enlarged by Sir Rose Price, a West Indian sugar planter. In 1867
the property was bought by T S Bolitho, a banker, whose family had been involved in
Cornish mining. The 1897 remodelling and extensions were carried out by his son T R
Bolitho; the architect is not known. T R Bolitho and the head gardener, A Creek,
with advice and help from J C Williams of Caerhays and P D Williams of Lanarth,
created a new garden with shrubs from New Zealand, Australia, Chile and the
Himalayas. In 1929 G Johnstone of Trewtihen and Lawrence Johnston of Hidcote offered
Bolitho a share in Kingdon Ward's 1927-8 plant hunting expedition to Assam and Burma.
Seeds collected on this expedition are the basis of the fine rhododendron collection
Source: M Trinick, The National Trust's Cornish Gardens.
Listing NGR: SW4452431472
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings