This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1269 / 50°7'36"N
Longitude: -5.5684 / 5°34'6"W
OS Eastings: 145052
OS Northings: 31296
OS Grid: SW450312
Mapcode National: GBR DXMB.XVC
Mapcode Global: VH05H.F2KL
Entry Name: The Head Gardeners' Cottages
Listing Date: 7 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1143583
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70459
Location: Madron, Cornwall, TR20
Civil Parish: Madron
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Madron
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 43 SE
7/114 The Head Gardeners' cottages
Terrace of 3 gardeners' cottages, now 1 house. Circa early to mid C19. Brick laid
to Flemish bond. Dry slate roof with brick chimneys over the gable ends and party
Plan: 3 similar shallow double depth cottages each with 1 room at the front and
entrances at the rear, the front facing into the walled garden.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Regular 3 window south garden front with possibly original 12-
pane 2-light casments. Circa late C19 6-pane horned sash to first floor left.
Interior: not inspected.
These cottages adjoin kitchen garden walls which were built in 1814 when Trengwainton
House was enlarged by Sir Rose Price, a West Indian sugar planter. In 1867 the
property was bought by T S Bolitho, a banker, whose family had been involved in
Cornish mining. The 1897 remodelling and extensions were carried out by his son T R
Bolitho; the architect is not known. T R Bolitho and the head gardener, A Creek,
with advice and help from J C Williams of Caerhays and P D Williams of Lanarth,
created a new garden with shrubs from New Zealand, Australia, Chile and the
Himalayas. In 1929 G Johnstone of Trewtihen and Lawrence Johnston of Hidcote offered
Bolitho a share in Kingdon Ward's 1927-8 plant hunting expedition to Assam and Burma.
Seeds collected on this expedition are the basis of the fine rhododendron collection
Source: M Trinick, The National Trust's Cornish Gardens.
Listing NGR: SW4452431472
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings