History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Saltersford Hall and Attached Farm Buildings

A Grade II Listed Building in Rainow, Cheshire East

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2834 / 53°17'0"N

Longitude: -2.0256 / 2°1'32"W

OS Eastings: 398390

OS Northings: 376267

OS Grid: SJ983762

Mapcode National: GBR GZ9G.8Q

Mapcode Global: WHBBJ.VQMR

Entry Name: Saltersford Hall and Attached Farm Buildings

Listing Date: 14 April 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1136830

English Heritage Legacy ID: 58060

Location: Rainow, Cheshire East, SK10

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Rainow

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Rainow Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Taxal

Listing Text

SJ 97 NE
3/149

RAINOW C.P.
SALTERSFORD
Saltersford Hall and attached farmbuildings

25/7/52

14/4/1967

II
Farmhouse and attached farmbuildings: dated 1593 but larger part
appears to be late Cl7 with C19 alterations. Partly rendered coursed
squared buff sandstone rubble and blocks. Kerridge stone-slate roof,
stone ridge and 2 stone and 1 brick chimneys.

Farmhouse is L-shaped and has a 2-storey, 3-bay west front with left 2
bays under gable. Left end bay has 9-pane fixed window. Central
doorway has low segmentally arched head with a moulded triangular
pediment above containing initials HF. To right is date stone and a
door with a 2-light casement above. Remaining windows are C19 or C20.
Interior: Some exposed beams visible but not fully inspected.

Farmbuildings form a south range with shippon and hay loft attached to
house and a corn barn and further shippon to the west. Openings have
long and short quoining and a mixture of stone and wooden lintels.
Interior: Some original tie beam and collar trusses visible.

An unusual survival of a Renaissance classical detail on a vernacular
building in this area. The original house of 1593 was built by the
Stopford family of Bate Hall, Macclesfield.


Listing NGR: SJ9839076267

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.