History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Rainow, Cheshire East

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2863 / 53°17'10"N

Longitude: -2.0257 / 2°1'32"W

OS Eastings: 398386

OS Northings: 376589

OS Grid: SJ983765

Mapcode National: GBR GZ9F.7P

Mapcode Global: WHBBJ.VNLJ

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 14 April 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1138927

English Heritage Legacy ID: 58061

Location: Rainow, Cheshire East, SK10

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Rainow

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Rainow Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Taxal

Listing Text

SJ 97 NE RAINOW C.P. SALTERSFORD

3/150 Church of St John the
Baptist

14/4/67

II*

Church: nave and chancel dated 1733 and built by local subscription
and tower added 1755. Kerridge stone-slate roof, stone ridge and 1
stone chimney. 2-storey nave, 1-storey chancel and vestry and low
3-stage, saddleback tower. Nave has 3 fixed 20-pane windows below and
2 above. East window of chancel is 3-light casement with lancet
above. Studded 5-board west door has rubble segmental head. Breaking
projecting rubble band above are 2 stones the upper reading
"3 :John : Bap:ts. Free Chapel was, June 24th 1733, Erected". Partly
erased tablet below reads "....At John Slacks expence in 39 made
sacred for worship of Almighty God". 2nd stage of tower has door to
gallery on south side reached by external stone steps, and 3rd stage
has rectangular bell openings with stone flag louvring.
Interior: West porch has stone flag seats. Nave has west gallery and
complete set of simple oak box pews, a pulpit and carved reader's
desk. Chancel opening has a wooden lintel from which hangs a screen
with turned balusters. Similar balusters in altar rail and
wainscotting behind altar.

A very picturesque church in its moorland setting, built in a
vernacular style with its interior and exterior surviving intact.
Also known as Jenkin Chapel.


Listing NGR: SJ9838676589

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.