This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1974 / 53°11'50"N
Longitude: -2.7623 / 2°45'44"W
OS Eastings: 349171
OS Northings: 366978
OS Grid: SJ491669
Mapcode National: GBR 7H.2FJC
Mapcode Global: WH889.JWVN
Entry Name: Church Hall, Grammar School House and the Hearse House
Listing Date: 1 March 1967
Last Amended: 8 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1136913
English Heritage Legacy ID: 55755
Location: Tarvin, Cheshire West and Chester, CH3
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Tarvin
Built-Up Area: Tarvin
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Tarvin St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 46 NE TARVIN C.P. CHURCH STREET
2/51 Church Hall, Grammar
school House and the
Hearse House (formerly
listed as School to N.
adjacent to church).
Formerly grammar school, schoolmaster's house and hearse house, now
church hall and 2 cottages: school 1666 founded by John Pickering,
renovated 1845 for Rev Bowstead (Ormerod), much of remainder C18,
including hearse house that was reconstructed here, after removal from
next to south porch of church post 1791 (see plan in church). Some
ashlar buff sandstone, remainder orange brick, Welsh slate roof and 2
brick chimneys. 1 and 2 storey 10-bay south front. Left end is
former hearse house, partly in stone. Gable end has wide entrance
with an arched lintel with a channelled key block. 2-bay brick
structure next. Central 3 bays of former school with tall C17
chamfered stone plinth. Remainder in brick with 3 3-light casements
with glazing bars. Adjacent schoolmaster's house with casements with
glazing bars and door, under segmental brick heads. Lower 2-bay
cottage at right end.
The celebrated penman John Thomasen (died 1740), transcriber for
Queen Anne, was master here till his death, see memorial in south
porch of church.
Listing NGR: SJ4917166978
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings