This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1974 / 53°11'50"N
Longitude: -2.7628 / 2°45'46"W
OS Eastings: 349136
OS Northings: 366975
OS Grid: SJ491669
Mapcode National: GBR 7H.2FF3
Mapcode Global: WH889.JWLN
Entry Name: Church House
Listing Date: 8 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130536
English Heritage Legacy ID: 55754
Location: Tarvin, Cheshire West and Chester, CH3
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Tarvin
Built-Up Area: Tarvin
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Tarvin St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 46 NE TARVIN C.P. CHURCH STREET
2/50 Church House.
Formerly parlour wing of farmhouse, now a house: mid-late C16, chimney
inserted 1658 with C19 extension to rear and alterations.
Timber-framed with brick nogging on stone plinth. Brick extension to
rear. Welsh slate roof and a lateral ashlar stack contained within
the house with 2 diamond brick stacks. 2-storey and attic, 1-bay front
under gable. Slight jetties at 1st and 2nd floor with ovolo moulded
tiebeams. Ground storey has an inserted 12-pane window into a line of
studs, a line of chevrons and at the top a pair of blocked 4-light
wood mullioned windows. First storey has a C20 steel casement above
the original sill. There is a line of quartrefoils, a line of chevron
and 2 similar mullioned windows. Gable rebuilt in brick with black
painted timbers and a small pane window. Panelling to the side is
undecorated except for some chevron work. Inserted door and windows.
Interior: Two rooms in each floor in old part. Main room has corner
fireplace with moulded stone fireplace, damaged by insertion of brick
and cast-iron grate. 2 corbels help carry exposed joists;
ovolo-moulded ceiling beam. Room to rear has cast-iron fireplace and
an heraldic plaster panel with the date 1658. Main room upstairs has
good moulded sandstone fireplace and moulded stone mantelshelf with
gilded plaster devices above. Ovolo-moulded ceiling beam. Roof
trusses of tiebeam, 2 diagonal struts and short collars.
Listing NGR: SJ4913466974
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings