History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Stephen

A Grade II* Listed Building in Kirkby Stephen, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.4743 / 54°28'27"N

Longitude: -2.3484 / 2°20'54"W

OS Eastings: 377517

OS Northings: 508821

OS Grid: NY775088

Mapcode National: GBR DJ1P.CW

Mapcode Global: WH93F.WSWV

Entry Name: Church of St Stephen

Listing Date: 6 February 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1136925

English Heritage Legacy ID: 72978

Location: Kirkby Stephen, Eden, Cumbria, CA17

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

Civil Parish: Kirkby Stephen

Built-Up Area: Kirkby Stephen

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Kirkby Stephen with Mallerstang and Crosby Garrett with Soulby

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Kirkby Stephen

Listing Text

NY 7708 KIRKBY STEPHEN MARKET SQUARE
(Off North Side)

9/19 Church of St Stephen
6.2.68
G.V. II*

Church of England (probably dedicated to more than one saint originally).
Rebuilt c1230 with later additions and alterations. Coursed, squared rubble and
some ashlar; plinth (some parts moulded, some chamfered) and various types of
buttressing. 7 bay nave has copper sheathed roofs with parapets. Early C16 3
storey west tower has west doorway with continuous chamfered jambs and pointed
head in square frame incorporating coats of arms; 3-light window above. Each
face has paired bell-openings of 2-lights under ogee gables. Embattled parapet
with pinnacles. West wall to north aisle formed part of earlier, C12, building;
north wall rebuilt 1871. North transept arm C13 with 2 partly original lancets
and a C14 3-light window. Chapels to north and south, chancel and south
transept arm all rebuilt 1847 (east end has steeply pitched graduated slate roof
with low parapet, stone copings and apex cross). South aisle has four C15
windows with C19 tracery. South porch rebuilt 1871 but south door is early C15
with 2 continuous chamfered orders to jambs and pointed head; consecration cross
to right-hand jamb. Internally, much of the original stonework has been
reworked or replaced in the C19. Very tall tower arch. Both C13 nave arcades
of drum piers on plinths survive (eastern bay narrower than rest) with moulded
capitals carrying pointed arches of 2 chamfered orders; some painted decoration
survives on south aisle face of the arches. C19 clerestory of 5 windows not
aligned with bays. Very wide, low, pointed arch to east end of south aisle.
Chancel incorporates C13 trefoil-headed piscina (with restored foliate
decoration to bracket) and 3 seat C13 sedilia with gabled trefoiled heads.
North chapel has late C16 altar tomb with effigies of 1st Lord Wharton and his 2
wives; children and coats of arms to sides and inscribed panel to end. South
chapel has early C15 altar tomb with effigy of Knight (Sir Richard Musgrave,
died 1409); C15 altar tomb to Sir Richard Musgrave (died 1464) in recess with
foliate gable to south wall. Ornate pulpit constructed from various coloured
marbles, c1871; probably a gift of the local Masonic Lodge. Loose fragments
from earlier buildings on the site (displayed at west end of nave) include late
C12 foliate and historiated capitals, fragments of Anglo-Danish crosses, and
remains of a hogback gravestone. C18 sundial (with dated inscription) fitted
externally on south side.


Listing NGR: NY7751708821

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.