History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Green Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Olveston, South Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5789 / 51°34'43"N

Longitude: -2.5775 / 2°34'39"W

OS Eastings: 360076

OS Northings: 186823

OS Grid: ST600868

Mapcode National: GBR JR.CNCY

Mapcode Global: VH882.8LQ0

Entry Name: Green Farmhouse

Listing Date: 5 December 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1136963

English Heritage Legacy ID: 35295

Location: Olveston, South Gloucestershire, BS35

County: South Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Olveston

Built-Up Area: Olveston

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Olveston

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Almondsbury

Listing Text


ST 68 NW OLVESTON THE GREEN (south side) Olveston

8/186 Green Farmhouse

- II

Farmhouse, now house. C15 origin with later alterations and additions.
Rubble, pantiled roof with brick gable stacks. L-plan, former open hall house.
2 storeys and 3 windows, all 2 and 3-light casements with leaded lights except
1st floor 2nd from left, unglazed window with wooden mullions, square set and
chamfered with step stops and timber lintel, ground floor windows have timber
lintels, 3rd bay from left has C20 gabled porch, slits to each side and plank
door in wooden frame, timbers in wall above 2nd window from left and to right at
ground floor, single storey wing to left has 4-light casement with timber
lintel; west elevation has 2-light casement with timber lintel at 1st floor
left, all other windows C20, 2 storey wing to right. Rear has central dormer
extension, 3-light casement at ground and 1st floor right, door and 2 C20
windows, east side of rear wing has door with timber lintel, 4-light casement at
ground floor and 3-light at 1st floor. Interior: chamfered and stopped beams
and fireplace lintel, blocked fireplace in west room has large stone lintel,
door to former hall from kitchen has cut back frame on one side for passage of
barrels; roof smoke-blackened at west end, 5 collar-beam trusses, 2 and 4
having cambered collars, central truss has arch-braced collar, 2 pairs of butt
purlins, in 2 central bays 2 tiers of windbraces, diagonal ridge. Rear kitchen
wing probably added late C17/early C18. (Sources: Hall, Linda : Rural Houses
of North Avon and South Gloucestershire, 1400-1720. 1983).


Listing NGR: ST6007686823

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.