History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Coombe Methodist Church

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Stephen-in-Brannel, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.3261 / 50°19'33"N

Longitude: -4.8818 / 4°52'54"W

OS Eastings: 194974

OS Northings: 51319

OS Grid: SW949513

Mapcode National: GBR ZR.1JYH

Mapcode Global: FRA 08N5.PXJ

Entry Name: Coombe Methodist Church

Listing Date: 20 December 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1137015

English Heritage Legacy ID: 71476

Location: St. Stephen-in-Brannel, Cornwall, PL26

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: St. Stephen-in-Brannel

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: St Stephen-in-Brannel

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Saint Stephen

Listing Text

ST STEPHEN IN ST STEPHEN'S COOMBE
SW 95 SW BRANNEL
3/140 Coombe Methodist Church
-
GV II

Methodist church. Dated 1859; enlarged 1890. Granite rubble with stone dressings.
Slate roof with ridge tiles and gable ends.
Plan: Single auditorium plan, with entrance at the front gable end and ritual east at
the rear.
Exterior: The front gable end is symmetrical, with central round-arched doorway with
C20 plank double doors and margin-glazed fanlight; the doorway is approached by a
flight of 6 granite steps with plain cast iron railings to each side and cast iron
footscrapers. Tall round-arched window to right and left with 4-panes each light and
margin glazing. Upper central circular recessed datestone with inscription in upper
case lettering: WMC 1859 ENLARGED 1890. The right and left sides have three C19 12-
pane sashes with cambered brick arches.
Interior: Not fully accessible at time of survey (October 1987). There is a gallery
at the front gable end, with panelled front with stencilled painted Gothic
decorations, supported on shaped brackets. Organ at the rear gable end. The church
may retain other features such as benches and rostrum.


Listing NGR: SW9497451319

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.