History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wellesley House, and Attached Stables Block

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Newlyn East, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.352 / 50°21'7"N

Longitude: -5.009 / 5°0'32"W

OS Eastings: 186042

OS Northings: 54556

OS Grid: SW860545

Mapcode National: GBR ZJ.CTQS

Mapcode Global: FRA 08D3.GF0

Entry Name: Wellesley House, and Attached Stables Block

Listing Date: 30 May 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1137022

English Heritage Legacy ID: 63960

Location: St. Newlyn East, Cornwall, TR8

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: St. Newlyn East

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: St Newlyn

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Mitchell

Listing Text

ST NEWLYN EAST A30, MITCHELL
SW 85 SE
(North side)
5/19 Wellesley House, and attached
stables block
30.5.1967

--- II

House with stables attached on west side. c.1800-1820. Gritstone ashlar,
with slate roof.
Plan: Main block double pile with through stair hall and flanking
reception rooms, the stair at the back of the hall. Attached block on
right, a separate dwelling in form of cross wing, the rear of which is
storage. On left, building parallel to road, probably originally stables
with loft over, and ostler's dwelling at west end.
Elevation of main block has central entrance within later pitched glazed
porch. Four-panelled door with overlight and panelled reveals set in
rusticated opening with voussoirs and high open pediment on consoles. Plat
band. Twelve-paned sashes with boxes concealed, stone sills and flat arch
with raised keystones. Raised rusticated quoins. Paired modillion eaves.
Rendered stacks. Pointed arch to through passage on left before rubble
and cob stable block, having a central blocked arched opening and flanking
arched windows, and to left, a two-bay ostler's dwelling. Wing to right,
probably added late C19. Central door and flanking casement windows, all
with segmental heads and raised keystones. Above door, a 4-paned
semi-dormer with gable.
Interior: Left parlour fully panelled, with cornice and dado rail, and C18
type fire surround with swag-decorated frieze. Room to right of hallway
has simple cornice and fire surround. Unoccupied at time of survey. (Jan
1988).


Listing NGR: SW8604254555

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.