History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wesleyan Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Newlyn East, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.3515 / 50°21'5"N

Longitude: -5.0109 / 5°0'39"W

OS Eastings: 185903

OS Northings: 54516

OS Grid: SW859545

Mapcode National: GBR ZJ.CT4V

Mapcode Global: FRA 08D3.MMR

Plus Code: 9C2P9X2Q+JJ

Entry Name: Wesleyan Chapel

Listing Date: 16 November 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1328705

English Heritage Legacy ID: 63961

Location: St. Newlyn, Cornwall, TR8

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: St. Newlyn East

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: St Newlyn

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Mitchell

Listing Text

ST NEWLYN EAST A30. MITCHELL
SW 85 SE
(North side)
5/20 Wesleyan Chapel
- II

Wesleyan Chapel. 1845. Uncoursed killas stone, but coursed on south
front, with granite quoins to windows. Slate roof with crested ridge
tiles.
Plan. Gable end to street, with central entrance to cross lobby. Four
window bays with schoolroom at north end, with hipped roof.
Centre panelled doors within painted arched entrance with hood moulding.
Body of hall has raised choir and gallery over entrance.
Tall flanking round-headed windows with ashlar red stone arches and
granite keystones. Gable coped, with roundel, also with hood mould.
Timber window frames of 2-arched lights and circle at head. Two transomes.
stained glass of c.1910-20. Side windows similar but glazing bars recurved
to form lozenge head. Brick arches and stone key. Diamond pattern glazing.
Schoolroom has two round-headed closely spaced windows. Two-flue chimney
on rear wall of chapel. Two windows to rear and entrance at side.
Interior: Walls rendered and lined as ashlar in black mortar. Panelled
boarded ceiling. Fittings probably later C19 and complete. Raised
central pulpit slightly cantilevered with curved front. Organ behind,
flanked by 3 tiers of choir benches. Iron openwork panelling to front.
Body of hall has 31 numbered pine pews in 3 blocks. Screen to lobby under
gallery with stained glass lights at centre. Railings around communion
table. Side passage to schoolroom, now meeting room. Exposed ceiling
trusses and wall dado panelling. Small kitchen annex.


Listing NGR: SW8590354516

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.