History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gumhurn Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Pilning and Severn Beach, South Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.562 / 51°33'43"N

Longitude: -2.6265 / 2°37'35"W

OS Eastings: 356664

OS Northings: 184976

OS Grid: ST566849

Mapcode National: GBR JP.DVBK

Mapcode Global: VH881.FZ9Y

Entry Name: Gumhurn Farmhouse

Listing Date: 5 December 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1137141

English Heritage Legacy ID: 35337

Location: Pilning and Severn Beach, South Gloucestershire, BS35

County: South Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Pilning and Severn Beach

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: St Peter Pilning

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Almondsbury

Listing Text


ST 58 SE PILNING AND SEVERN GUMHURN LANE
BEACH

11/232 Gumhurn Farmhouse

- II

Farmhouse. Mid C17 with later alterations. Rubble, rendered, mixed pantiled
and double Roman tiled roof with brick and stone gable stacks. L-plan,
through passage. 2½ storeys, 2 windows, 3-light casements at ground floor,
2-light at 1st floor, all C20, 2 gables rising nearly to ridge height each with
small window at apex, to right with iron lattice, central C20 gabled porch,
heavily studded door with strap hinges in chamfered frame; single storey lean-
to to left and right. Rear has similar door with ovolo moulded lintel, C20
3-light casement to left, similar 2-light window with timber lintel at 1st
floor, single gable to left with small fixed light; former dairy wing to right
of 2 storeys, C20 door and 6-pane fixed light, 1st floor has loading door and
similar window; single storey extension to right with door. Interior: scroll
moulded beams with converging stops; east door and small blocked north window
have ovolo moulded frames, fireplace with scroll-moulded lintel with dentils and
converging stops, brick oven. Cider mill with grinding stone in yard dated
1707. (Sources: Hall, Linda : Rural Houses of North Avon and South
Gloucestershire 1400-1720. 1983).


Listing NGR: ST5666484976

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.