This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3669 / 50°22'0"N
Longitude: -5.0542 / 5°3'15"W
OS Eastings: 182891
OS Northings: 56349
OS Grid: SW828563
Mapcode National: GBR ZF.PTTP
Mapcode Global: FRA 0892.8S3
Entry Name: Church of St Newlyna
Listing Date: 30 May 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1137190
English Heritage Legacy ID: 63975
Location: St. Newlyn East, Cornwall, TR8
Civil Parish: St. Newlyn East
Built-Up Area: St Newlyn East
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Newlyn
Church of England Diocese: Truro
ST NEWLYN EAST CHURCHTOWN (North side)
SW 85 NW
Church of St Newlyna
Anglican parish church. Late C12 - mid C13, rededicated Sept 1259.
Late C14 - early C15, reroofed c.1846, and restored 1883 by J.P.Seddon.
Local shaley killas, some iron stained, with granite dressings to doors
and windows. Gritstone quoins to south aisle chapel. Blue slate roofs
with clay crested red ridge tiles. Plan. North transept has early base to
north and east walls, said to be late C12. Nave, chancel and upper
transept walls mid C13 without plinth. South aisle added C15, with
contemporary porch and west tower to nave. Aisle extended eastwards
subsequently, after addition of a south chapel, the Tresillian chapel,
and under which is the Arundell vault. Opposed entrances in second bay
of nave. South porch crenellated. Tall open outer doorway with arch in
square outer moulded frame and quatrefoils in spandrils. Label over. Door
to stair in north-west corner of porch to unbuilt parvise. Sundial over
door with iron gnomon. Internal doorway C15, with trefoiled niche over.
Windows. North transept west window a C13 lancet, other windows all C15,
generally 3-light panelled tracery, but 4-light to north transept and
south chapel. East window of chancel C19. Tower of 3 stages, set-back
buttresses, but clasping buttresses to third stage rising to square
conical finials. Square stair tower on north east angle. West door with
3-light panel tracery over, repeated at bell stage. Gables of south
aisle and chapel have crocketed finials. East chapel has 2-light window
with quatrefoil heads. Growing from the south wall of aisle at junction
with chapel is the famous fig tree, acclaimed to have magical properties.
Interior. Nave. Walls plastered. Floor partly flagged. Barrel vaulted
open rafter roof of C19 with carved bosses of C15 reused at purlin and
ridge intersections. Granite arcade of 6 bays to south aisle, four
attached shafts separated by wave mouldings. Moulded capitals and
depressed four-centred arches; identical 2-bay opening to north transept.
Tower arch corbelled, wide arris reserved ovolo of earlier type. Glass of
1896 in north-west window. South aisle has lower barrel vault, also with
reused bosses. Wide opening on similar responds to south chapel. Chapel
has similar roof and reveal shafts to south window. Double piscina.
Capitals and arches lower than those of nave. Panelled and painted
vaulted ceiling. Recess with wood panelled sedilia and table, C19. East
aisle chapel has east window with reveal shafts and large cinquefoil
piscina in east wall. North transept, formerly the Cargoll Chapel under
patronage of the bishopric of Exeter, has C15 open barrel vaulted roof
with leaf carved principal rafters, purlins, collar purlins and wall
plates. Reveal shafts to north window.
Fittings. Font C12. Bodmin type limestone bowl on short column with
spurred base, the bowl carved with intertwining 3-strand floral scrolls
and 4 grotesque quadrupeds. Four angel heads corbelled from rim, supported
by C19 verde antico shafts. Screen, C19 by Seddon, oak. Very fine, set
across nave and aisle, 10 bays of panelled tracery with ribbed vaulting
supporting an elaborately carved rood loft. Similar screen between
chancel and south aisle chapel, incorporating painted panels of original
medieval screen. C19 oak pulpit, octagonal, accessible from adapted
former rood loft stair. Pews to the east of the nave, a fine group of
carved bench-ends with tracery and signs of Passion, and arms, those
towards east of nave with crouching beast terminals, extended and
completed in 1883.
Monuments. South aisle. A simple white marble tablet on grey, to Rev.
Henry Pooley, died 1821. South chapel. Fine monument of 1691, white and
grey marbles. Inscribed tablet flanked by Ionic columns, curtain drawn
aside, and falling from broken pediment containing a marble bust. Arms
of Arundell quartering Trerice. and arms of Acland in escutcheon of
pretence, with vigorous lion supporters on apron. Inscription, in Latin,
to Margaret Arundell. Also in chapel a helmet suspended over arch,
formerly belonging to Sir John Arundell, who held Pendennis Castle for
Charles I in 1646.
Miscellanea. North wall. Large wood and plaster carved royal arms of
Charles I within timber frame. In nave. a lantern cross head in grey
killas stone, much eroded, but bearing crucifixion scene, and on back a
seated figure of decapitated person, probably St. Newlyna.
The Rev Richard Polwhele, scholar and antiquary, held the living from 1821
to 1838 and from here published 'Traditions and Recollections'(1826) and
'Biographical Sketches in Cornwall (1831).
Listing NGR: SW8289156349
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings