History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ogbeare Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in North Tamerton, Cornwall

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7382 / 50°44'17"N

Longitude: -4.4082 / 4°24'29"W

OS Eastings: 230172

OS Northings: 95936

OS Grid: SX301959

Mapcode National: GBR NJ.2TST

Mapcode Global: FRA 17N4.8GL

Entry Name: Ogbeare Hall

Listing Date: 29 September 1961

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1137225

English Heritage Legacy ID: 67206

Location: North Tamerton, Cornwall, EX22

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: North Tamerton

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: North Tamerton

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
North Tamerton

Listing Text

NORTH TAMERTON
SX 39 SW
8/19 Ogbeare Hall

29.9.61 II*

Country house now in use as old peoples home. The C15 great hall is all that
survives of what must have been a large medieval house. The hall has been
extensively restored and encased in a large late C19 house. (Recently restored and
enlarged according to 1883 Kellys Directory). Stone rubble with granite dressings
and slate roof with gabled ends. The C15 hall faces east with a lateral stack
rising from the front wall with set-offs and a moulded granite cap. To right large
4-light hall window with elliptically arched lights, hollow chamfered and with
roll-moulded King Mullion and hood mould with carved stops. Set back to left of
stack a tall 2-light window with roll-moulded elliptically arched lights and hood
mould with carved stops. Similar window to gallery over screens passage doorway on
left with moulded elliptical arch outer arch with hood mould and four-centred inner
arch with carved spandrels and tympanum with armorial device. The hall is encased
on north, south and west sides in a late C19 gothic style gabled house of 2-storeys
with stone mullion windows and a 3-storeyed tower with a pyramidal roof, in an
angle over the entrance porch which has a chamfered Tudor arch. The service wing
of the late C19 house, to the west, has been demolished. Interior of hall: roof
appears to have been rebuilt but reusing carved arch braces and wall plate and
carved bosses to intersecting wind bracing. The screen passage has gallery over,
which is jettied into hall on carved bressuner. The screen is made up of reused
timber with carved running foliage. The joists supporting the gallery over the
screens passage are similarly carved. Large granite fireplace on front wall of
hall has moulded elliptical arch, carved foliage spandrels and frieze of sunken
quatrefoils above. Leonard Loves (died 1576), who was Elizabeth I's treasurer for
Cornwall and Devon, lived at Ogbeare Hall in late C16. There is a memorial brass
to him in the Church of St Denis, North Tamerton qv. Reference : Kelly's
Directory, 1883.


Listing NGR: SX3017295936

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.