History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Stainton Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Stainton and Thornton, Middlesbrough

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5202 / 54°31'12"N

Longitude: -1.2594 / 1°15'33"W

OS Eastings: 448036

OS Northings: 514132

OS Grid: NZ480141

Mapcode National: GBR MJN5.4D

Mapcode Global: WHD75.MNH2

Entry Name: The Stainton Public House

Listing Date: 28 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1137526

English Heritage Legacy ID: 59843

Location: Stainton and Thornton, Middlesbrough, TS8

County: Middlesbrough

Civil Parish: Stainton and Thornton

Built-Up Area: Middlesbrough

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Stainton-in-Cleveland St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Thornaby on Tees

Listing Text

STAINTON AND MELDYKE LANE,
NZ 41 SE (4814)
THORNTON east side.
5/121 The Stainton public
house
- II.
Public house, date 1897, and mid-C20 right extension. Smooth red brick,
pebbledash on first floor, and sandstone ashlar porch. Plain clay tiled
roof with stone gable copings. Clay pantiles on extension, with concrete
gable copings and dressings. 2 storeys, 2 windows. Central, projecting,
wavy-gabled porch with panelled part-glazed doors set behind wrought iron
gate, with scrolled panels, in moulded basket-headed surround with applied
metal letters: "1897" flanking giant keystone. Short diagonal buttresses at
angles of porch. Slightly-projecting casement windows with glazing bars and
wood cornices: 3-light, with round-headed centre, on ground-floor left;
one-light on ground-floor right; 5-light, the middle 3 canted, on wood
bracket, on first floor left; and 3-light at right. Continuous egg-and-dart
sill mouldings. Scrolled wrought-iron bracketed sign between bays on first
floor. Deep plain soffit. 2 canted flat-roofed dormers with similar
windows and cornices. End stacks. Lower part of left gable crowstepped.
One-storey right extension has tripartite casement window at left of
part-glazed double doors, in flat surrounds. Rear one-storey extension
is not of special interest.


Listing NGR: NZ4803614132

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.