History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St. Peter and St. Paul

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stainton and Thornton, Middlesbrough

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5195 / 54°31'10"N

Longitude: -1.2593 / 1°15'33"W

OS Eastings: 448043

OS Northings: 514050

OS Grid: NZ480140

Mapcode National: GBR MJN5.5N

Mapcode Global: WHD75.MNJN

Entry Name: Church of St. Peter and St. Paul

Listing Date: 23 June 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1137540

English Heritage Legacy ID: 59845

Location: Stainton and Thornton, Middlesbrough, TS8

County: Middlesbrough

Civil Parish: Stainton and Thornton

Built-Up Area: Middlesbrough

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Stainton-in-Cleveland St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Thornaby on Tees

Listing Text

STAINTON AND THORNTON ROAD,
NZ 41 SE (4814)
THORNTON east side.
5/123 Church of St. Peter
and St. Paul.
23.6.66
G.V. II*.
Church, C13, with C15 tower and north transept; nave largely rebuilt c.1800
and altered 1897. Chancel rebuilt 1876; late C19 vestry. Restored and
roofs renewed 1902. Dressed sandstone; Welsh slate roofs. West tower on
nave, north transept and higher chancel with north vestry. Tower has paired
cusped, louvred bell openings with stone transoms. Embattled parapet with
squat ogee-domed finials at angles. 1935 3-light west window,with cusped
heads and hoodmould with scrolled stops,above C18 round-headed doorway.
Boarded and studded double doors with scrolled strap hinges, in chamfered
and roll-moulded surround under hoodmould. 3-bay nave has original C13
chamfered plinth, and 1897 windows with Decorated-style tracery under
hoodmoulds. Similar north window. String course below straight parapet
with chamfered and roll-moulded copings. Stepped-gabled transept on C13 or
earlier foundation. Late C19 panel-tracery north window and basket-headed
west window with 2 trefoil-headed lights. Hoodmoulds, the north with carved
stops; carved mask above west window. Similar parapet; cross finial; and
stack, with round shaft, in angle between transept and chancel. 3-bay
chancel has angle buttresses and chevron-moulded steeply-battered buttresses
between the bays. Central boarded south door in roll-moulded surround,
under hoodmould continued as sill string. Plate tracery and hoodmoulds with
carved stops. Chevron-moulded band below gable with cross finial. Several
fragments of medieval and Saxon carved stones, and 2 trefoil-headed windows,
under hoodmoulds with masks stops, in north wall. Gabled north vestry with
plate tracery. Large blind medieval plate-tracery quatrefoil, with flowers
in spandrels and beaded hollow-chamfered surround, in gable. Iron
square-section downpipes; chancel hopperheads ornamented and dated 1899.
INTERIOR: early C13 chamfered chancel arch, on round responds with chamfered
capitals and bases. Wide segmental-pointed transept arch on renewed
corbels. Wainscoting to sill height in nave. Arched-braced collar-beam
roof trusses, with kingposts and 4 levels of purlins, on stone corbels,
collars strutted to purlins; bosses between braces. Embattled and moulded
wall plate with carved bosses. Collar-beam trusses with bosses in transept.
Chancel roof ceiled with wood boarding. 1907 Caen stone pulpit, on marble
shafts,and similar carved painted octagonal font. Reredos of 1876 has 4
panels, with paintings of St. Peter, St. Paul and angels, flanking taller
plain centre panel in gabled aedicule with cusped head, crockets and carved
capitals; cresting over side panels and pinnacles at ends. Chancel
panelling, c.1950 and organ case 1958, by Thompson (Kilburn). Marble wall
monuments by Robert Taylor, in sanctuary; the north, to Mary Pennyman,
d,1727, shouldered mount with arms in trefoil-headed crown, above flaming
urn enriched with oak leaves, on plinth flanked by inverted volutes, and
pedestal with epitaph on die; the south to Sir James Pennyman, 1745, a flat
obelisk on 4 spheres and pedestal. Other good C18 and C19 wall monuments
and tablets in chancel, including one on north wall, 1808 by A. Bennison
(Hull). C14 effigy of male priest in south doorway.


Listing NGR: NZ4804314050

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.