This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5167 / 54°31'0"N
Longitude: -1.2618 / 1°15'42"W
OS Eastings: 447885
OS Northings: 513737
OS Grid: NZ478137
Mapcode National: GBR MJM6.MN
Mapcode Global: WHD75.LQCT
Entry Name: Low Farmhouse 2 Farm Cottages and Adjoining Outbuildings
Listing Date: 23 June 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1137568
English Heritage Legacy ID: 59851
Location: Stainton and Thornton, Middlesbrough, TS8
Civil Parish: Stainton and Thornton
Built-Up Area: Middlesbrough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Stainton-in-Cleveland St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: York
STAINTON AND THORNTON ROAD,
NZ 41 SE (4713) THORNTON east side.
5/129 No 2 (Low Farmhouse)
2 farm cottages
23.6.66 and adjoining
Wrongly shown on O.S. map as Kell Gate. Farmhouse, mid/late C17, altered
c.1800. Early/mid C18 farm cottages, byre and stable adjoining left and
right, with mid-C19 extensions. Farmhouse and cottages now one house.
Brick, in English garden wall bond, with sandstone dressings. Rear and left
return of farmhouse rendered. Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings,
shaped kneelers and rebuilt brick end stacks with stone dogtooth-moulded
caps. Clay pantiles on cottages and outbuildings. 2 storeys, 3 bays
defined by narrow pilaster strips rising from hollow-chamfered plinth.
Central Victorian 6-panel door and overlight. All openings enlarged and
surrounds added c.1800; architraves under bolection-moulded frieze and
pediments, semicircular in middle bay, segmental in first-floor end bays,
and with scrolls on first floor. Traces of original hoodmoulds flank window
heads. Early C20 casements. Steeply-pitched roof has 3 small skylights.
Lower left 2-storey 1-window cottage, entered from rear. Horizontal sash
window with glazing bars, on ground floor; fixed-light first floor window.
Lower 1-storey left byre has chevron-pattern breathers left of blocked door.
Lower left extension. Right 1-storey, 2 window cottage, has horizontal sash
windows with glazing bars, in altered openings. Slightly lower right stable
and cart shed. Rear of farmhouse shows central staircase wing and
horizontal sash windows with glazing bars. INTERIOR: early C19 dogleg
staircase with stick balusters, turned newels, moulded handrail and shaped
tread ends. Moulded handrail on wall. Panelled doors in wood architraves,
on ground floor. Farm outbuildings east of farmhouse are not of special
interest. Architraves and pediments possibly re-used from C17 Thornton
Hall, demolished c.1800.
Listing NGR: NZ4788513737
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings