This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0946 / 52°5'40"N
Longitude: -0.177 / 0°10'37"W
OS Eastings: 524977
OS Northings: 245596
OS Grid: TL249455
Mapcode National: GBR J5L.Q1G
Mapcode Global: VHGN1.WM84
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 31 October 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1137817
English Heritage Legacy ID: 38392
Location: Eyeworth, Central Bedfordshire, SG19
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Eyeworth
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Eyeworth
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
5/20 Church of All Saints
Parish church. C14 and C15, reworked C20. Chancel partly ashlared clunch
partly red brick. Elsewhere cobblestones with ashlar dressings. Chancel,
nave, S aisle, W tower. Chancel: C15 rebuilding, C19 3-light E window. N
and S elevations each have C15 square-headed 2-light window. S elevation also
has 3-light segmental-headed window blocked by Anderson monument. C15 N
doorway under square label with shield to spandrels. C14 chancel arch. Nave:
C14. Pointed-arched 3-bay arcade to S. N elevation has C14 3-light window
with C15 tracery. C14 pointed N doorway. Clerestory added C15. 3 2-light
square-headed windows per side. S aisle: C14. C15 rood staircase to NE
angle. E wall has 3-light pointed window. S elevation has 2 2-light windows.
E one with square head, W one with pointed head. C14 pointed S doorway. W
tower: C15. Spire and upper stages removed C20 after lightening damage. Now
a single stage with gabled pantile roof. Set-back buttresses. Pointed-arched
2-light W window. Interior: Chancel roof retains some C15 work. C15 altar
rails with turned balusters. Fragments of medieval glass to various windows.
C15 octagonal font to S aisle. Chancel has monuments to Anderson family:
- SE to Sir Edmund Anderson, Lord Chief Justice of Court of Common Pleas.
1605. 2 recumbant alabaster effigies on altar tomb, kneeling figures of
children below, canopy supported by Corinthian columns and surmounted by
- NE to Sir Francis Anderson, 1616. Alabaster, only partially intact.
Kneeling figure of Sir Francis flanked by those of 2 wives. Kneeling
figures of children below.
- SW wall monument to Edmund Anderson (son of Sir Edmund), wife and
daughter. 1638. Half figures of Edmund and wife hold a heart and are
surmounted by semi-circular arches. Above this is open segmental
pediment with allegorical figures. Below is another open segmental
pediment containing half figure of child holding a book and flanked by
Chancel floor has brass with figures to Sir Richard Gadbury, 1624, and wife
Margaret. Also floor slabs to Dame Mary Anderson, 1667; Alice Viscountess
Verulam and Baroness of St Albans, 1656; Catherine Anderson, 1705; and others
of Anderson family,
Listing NGR: TL2497745596
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings