History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pelyn

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lostwithiel, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.3981 / 50°23'53"N

Longitude: -4.6871 / 4°41'13"W

OS Eastings: 209123

OS Northings: 58804

OS Grid: SX091588

Mapcode National: GBR N4.S7VX

Mapcode Global: FRA 172Z.V4S

Entry Name: Pelyn

Listing Date: 28 August 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1137864

English Heritage Legacy ID: 70801

Location: Lostwithiel, Cornwall, PL22

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Lostwithiel

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Lanlivery

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Lanlivery

Listing Text

LOSTWITHIEL
SX 05 NE
7/49 Pelyn
-
II*

House. Circa 1600, remodelled early C18, circa 1800 remodelling of ballroom;
remodelled circa 1860 after a fire, with some later alterations. Granite ashlar,
wings to left and right in granite rubble with granite dressings. Asbestos slate
roofs with granite stacks; the central block has hipped roof with external stacks to
sides, rear lateral stack to wing to right. Wing to left heated by axial ridge
stacks.
Overall E-plan. The rectangular central block is of single depth plan, with central
entrance, library to front right and principal room to front left; deep rear hall
behind the 2 front rooms. This block was formed from a C17 core, extensively rebuilt
in early C18 with 2 storeys and attic on basement. After the fire of c. 1860, the
attic storey was removed. To left, the wing is of the original circa 1600 build, of
2-room plan with one-room plan wing projecting to left end; each room heated by an
axial stack. The inner room is a dining room and the outer one a kitchen; there is a
rear scullerly addition, probably of the C19, at the outer angle of the front left
wing. The projecting end wing is heated by a stack at the junction with the first
range, and has a gun-room at ground floor and a chamber above of more than service
status. There is a stair at each end of the left hand connecting wing; the main
stair in the central block was removed after the fire. The wing to right is of the
same height as the wing to left, but is all one room to full height, the ballroom;
this is a remodelling of c. 1800 of probably an early C18 range; the windows are of
full height, (the moulded granite jambs are not continuous) but were formerly ground
and first floor windows with granite surrounds as on the wing to left. The
projecting front wing to right forms the stable range, entered from the rear and with
additional buildings to rear forming a stable yard; the inner side of the stable yard
is a coach house, on 3 storeys, built into the slope of the ground, with laundry
above. The remodelling of the early C18 created a symmetrical front, with the stacks
on the central block built to match those of earlier date.
Central block of 2 storeys with moulded plinth on basement, of 1:3:1 bays in fine cut
ashlar. End pilasters and pilasters dividing off end bays, coved cornice and
blocking course. All windows are plate-glass sashes in raised surrounds with moulded
cills, 3 wide granite steps to central doorway, with panelled double doors with
overlight, moulded architrave and pediment on consoles. Basement has four 2-light
windows, with chamfered granite mullions and iron stanchions, concealed below plinth
by low ashlar wall. The left side of the centre block is rendered, with basement
doorway, a granite 4-centred arch, chamfered and stopped; the wall is stepped, to the
right of the external stack, with moulded cornice. The right side is also rendered,
with similar external stack. To the right, the 3-bay ballroom range, without plinth,
with coved cornice. Large windows with 2 mullions and transom, granite surrounds
broken midway, inserted in former ground and first floor openings. Projecting to end
right, the 2-storey stable block, with central tall 4-centred arched granite doorway
with convex moulding, panelled door with re-set wooden plaque with Kendall arms and
date 1646. At ground and first floor to left and right, a 3-light granite casement
with hollow chamfered mullions, early C20 glazing with glazing bars; coved cornice.
The front end of the wing has a similar 3-light casement at first floor.
To the left of the central block, a 2-storey range in granite rubble, with 4-centred
arched granite doorway to left and right, with panelled door to right, blocked with
C20 window inserted to left. To the centre, two 3-light granite casements at ground
and first floor. Coved cornice and ridge stack to left, heating fireplace at outer
end of room to left; this is an ashlar stack with cornice. The front wing to left of
2 storeys, has central 4-centred arched granite doorway with panelled door, similar
3-light casement at ground and first floor to left and right. The front end has 3-
light casement at first floor. The outer left side has 2-light chamfered granite
casement at ground floor to right, 3-light hollow-chamfered casement at first floor.
1½ storey scullery addition to end of main range, with 8-pane sash at ground floor,
casement and circular light at first floor. The rear of the range to left has 16-
pane sashes and casements, irregularly spaced. Rear of the central block has plate-
glass sashes and external stair to C20 door. Band course over first floor windows
and bellcote to right side. Attached to the rear of the ballroom, the laundry block,
with two 6-pane sashes at first floor and brick stack to front gable end with turned
clay pots. Single storey addition to rear with hipped roof and 16-pane sash.
The outer right side of the stable block has blocked door and coved cornice, wall
chamfered to rear. Rear of the stable has 16-pane sash and door, casement and
loading door above. The coach house is under the laundry, with 2 tall segmental
headed doorways, 2 blind windows at first and 2nd floor; 2-storey stable block to
rear, enclosing yard, with 2 doors and 2 casements at ground floor, one window and 2
blind windows under eaves. The front stable block retains wooden loose boxes, with
hayloft over.
Interior The central block was completely remodelled after the fire, so no principal
staircase survives. In the wing to left, of the early build, there is a granite
floor, late C19 dog-leg stair at each end, and panelled shutters to front windows;
hooks in ceiling and round arched doorway between the kitchen and the dining room.
The gun room in the front wing has a granite floor and fireplace with segmental head,
bolection moulded surround to fireplace. A first floor in the front wing, one room,
a parlour, with granite 4-centred arched fireplace with roll mouldings and re-set
datestone WK 1688, for Walter Kendall. The windows are chamfered internally and the
ceiling has coving, roof structure not accessible over this range.
The-ballroom has coved panelled ceiling with plaster cornice, panelled shutters to
windows and tall double panelled doors with panelled cheeks and soffit and moulded
architrave. The fireplace is to the rear, and has a fine marble chimneypiece, with
Greek key frieze, central plaque of Grecian maidens, consoles to front and sides and
blue tiled interior, moulded mantel.

Listing NGR: SX0912358804

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.