History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

80 and 80a, Highgate

A Grade II Listed Building in Kendal, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3259 / 54°19'33"N

Longitude: -2.7478 / 2°44'51"W

OS Eastings: 351464

OS Northings: 492517

OS Grid: SD514925

Mapcode National: GBR 9L7F.X1

Mapcode Global: WH82W.RJQJ

Entry Name: 80 and 80a, Highgate

Listing Date: 24 April 1957

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1137865

English Heritage Legacy ID: 75398

Location: Kendal, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA9

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Kendal

Built-Up Area: Kendal

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Kendal Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Burneside

Listing Text

SD 5192 NW KENDAL HIGHGATE
(West side)

7/57 Nos 80 & 80A

24-4-57

G.V. II

Gatehouse to Hospital. 1659 date on (mid C19?) copy of panel, in frame over
central passage arch, is incorrect; late C17 drawing (by Machel) shows date was
1663. Initials T.S., for Thomas Sandes (dealer in Kendal cottons and mayor
1647-48), were on the original but a K (for Katherine, his wife) has been added
and the coat of arms (combining those of Sandes with the Shearman dyers') is an
embellishment. Wet-dashed rubble; eaves cornice to taller, central block.
Graduated slate roofs; rendered mid and end chimneys. Symmetrical: 2 storeys,
5 bays (1:3:1). Central block has wide, semicircular-headed passage arch with
single window to either side and 3 above; the wings have a single window to each
floor. Ground floor windows are 3-light and 1st floor 4-light; all
wood-mullioned with square-leaded panes. Plank door to either side in passage;
on north side is an iron-lidded alms box, initialled T.S., set in a niche with 2
inscriptions above: REMEMBER THE POORE (sic) in low relief (C17) and Remember
the Poor Widows, carved in Roman lettering (C18?). Interior not inspected;
R.C.H.M. (1936) reports initialled and dated decorative plaster panel (T. &
K.S. 1661), part of scrollwork frieze, and some original panelling to 1st floor.


Listing NGR: SD5146492517

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.