This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0328 / 52°1'58"N
Longitude: -0.49 / 0°29'23"W
OS Eastings: 503684
OS Northings: 238229
OS Grid: TL036382
Mapcode National: GBR G39.GY8
Mapcode Global: VHFQT.G5BH
Entry Name: Dynevor House
Listing Date: 17 July 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1137916
English Heritage Legacy ID: 37351
Location: Ampthill, Central Bedfordshire, MK45
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Ampthill
Built-Up Area: Ampthill
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Ampthill
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
774 CHURCH STREET
No 34 (Dynevor House)
TL 0338 1/22 17.7.51.
Formerly known as Paunfort Lodge. Originally the mansion of the prosperous
Simon Urlin, who owned the large garden subsequently annexed to Avenue
House (see No 20 above), the avenue in fact leading to No 34. 3-storey
house of 1725 built in red brick, chequered with blue. Finely moulded
brick cornice below a plain parapet with stone coping. Eastern (entrance)
front: 7 windows in broad flush frames. Lower edges of the plain red flat
arches over the West of the 2 upper floors are slightly recessed to form
a series of delicate curves (of similar treatment at No 1 Bedford Street,
above). The brick cornice only continues round the North, East and South
sides. On the Western (garden) front above the 1st floor is a boldly projecting
wooden cornice with large modillions. Above this cornice, the 2nd floor
is only indicated at either end by 2 blank windows, while over the 3 central
windows the parapet drops in a curve to a much lower level. Southern (street)
front has 3 windows, of which the central one on each floor is blank.
Original door (in centre of East front), with boldly fielded panels and
brass furniture, is set between panelled reveals in a finely carved wooden
frame: fluted pilasters lead to an elaborate classical entablature with
triglyphs and modillions.
Nos 34 and 36, Little Dynevor, Nos 1 to 7 (consec) (Feoffee Almshouses)
form a group with Parish Church of St Andrews.
Listing NGR: TL0368438229
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings