History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Courtyard

A Grade II Listed Building in Kirkby Lonsdale, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.204 / 54°12'14"N

Longitude: -2.5989 / 2°35'55"W

OS Eastings: 361032

OS Northings: 478854

OS Grid: SD610788

Mapcode National: GBR BM9T.4R

Mapcode Global: WH94P.1LQJ

Entry Name: The Courtyard

Listing Date: 12 February 1962

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1138174

English Heritage Legacy ID: 75133

Location: Kirkby Lonsdale, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA6

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Kirkby Lonsdale

Built-Up Area: Kirkby Lonsdale

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Kirkby Lonsdale Team Ministry

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Kirkby Lonsdale

Listing Text

FAIRBANK
1.
5166 (north side)
Nos 5 and 7
SD 6178 NW 5/23 12.2.62 (The Courtyard)
IT GV

2.
1811. Large house planned symmetrically in four bays around yard entrance. Three
storeys. Coursed rubble. Slate roof. Gable chimneys. Quoins. Cement plinth to
No 7. Windows with plain stone surrounds. Those to second floor of No 5 altered to
gabled half-dormers with barge boards. Sashed with all glazing bars except second
floor No 7. Outer door to No 5, within archway, of two leaves with three raised and
fielded panels each. Inner door of six sunk panels. Reveal to doorway of No 7 has
single roll moulding on arris. Similar inner door.
Interior No 5. Large stone open well stair with stick balusters and continuous
mahogany rail. Collar roof of sawn timbers with date "1811" cut into rafter.
Lower range at back of No 5, probably older. Studded plank door.
Built 1807-11 by Alexander Nowell as his house until Underley Hall was built (Annals).


Listing NGR: SD6103278854

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.