This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1553 / 53°9'18"N
Longitude: -2.8811 / 2°52'51"W
OS Eastings: 341178
OS Northings: 362378
OS Grid: SJ411623
Mapcode National: GBR 7B.58MY
Mapcode Global: WH88F.QY8G
Entry Name: Eccleston Paddocks
Listing Date: 28 August 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1138377
English Heritage Legacy ID: 55326
Location: Eccleston, Cheshire West and Chester, CH4
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Eaton and Eccleston
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Eccleston St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 4162 ECCLESTON C.P. PADDOCK ROAD-WEST SIDE
WITH SERVICE ACCESS FROM
7/130 Eccleston Paddocks
House 1883, by John Douglas, built as residence for 1st Duke of
Westminster's Eaton agent, his nephew Cecil Parker. Snecked red
sandstone below, blue diapered red brick with stone bands and
enrichment above. Steep, hipped main roof of red tiles with lead
finials and massive central chimney. 2½ storeys and basement.
Entrance front (north): great mullioned and transomed staircase bay
window over arched entrance with 16 panel oak door (wrought iron
hinges and handle). Service wing (truncated), right; east front
(left) symmetrical, with cone-roofed corner turrets on battered
plinths; south (garden) front has two projecting, shaped gables.
Shaped stone-dressed mullioned and transomed windows with metal
casements; leaded glazing survives on entrance front and in some upper
Interior: Massive open well newel staircase of oak; oak overmantel
(hall); moulded plaster ceiling and hardwood fireplace surround
(drawing room); oak and plaster panelled ceilings, fine hardwood
double 3-panel doors.
A commanding small chateau for (as Douglas knew) a proud, exacting
Agent. (E Hubbard, Gervas Huxley, Pevsner and Hubbard).
Listing NGR: SJ4117862378
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings