This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2103 / 53°12'37"N
Longitude: -2.4859 / 2°29'9"W
OS Eastings: 367647
OS Northings: 368250
OS Grid: SJ676682
Mapcode National: GBR 7V.1NPT
Mapcode Global: WH99K.SKFR
Entry Name: Bostock Hall
Listing Date: 10 March 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1138416
English Heritage Legacy ID: 57284
Location: Bostock, Cheshire West and Chester, CW10
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Bostock
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Davenham St Wilfrid
Church of England Diocese: Chester
BOSTOCK C.P. (Off) BOSTOCK ROAD
SJ 66 NE
5/7 Bostock Hall
Country House. c1775. Probably by Samuel Wyatt with additions and
alterations of c1850 and 1875. Red Flemish bond brick with ashlar
dressings and a slate roof with lead flashings. Three storeys with
basement. Gardent front: three bays symmetrically disposed. The
front appears to have been heavily altered c1850 at which time the
lateral bay windows were added and the central bay given its ashlar
enrichments. The central bay has a slightly recessed round arch which
rises through three floors and cuts into the open pediment above.
These appear to remain from Wyatt's design as do the Venetian window
at first floor level and the Diocletian window to the second floor.
All now have ashlar surrounds of c1850 with stone surrounded brick
panels to the sides of the archway and a heavy ashlar surmount to the
pediment. The ground floor of this bay appears to have been
completely altered and has two lateral pairs of French windows with
arched heads. To either side of these are the lower parts of the
relieving arch which are of solid ashlar with niches containing
Eastern statues of the Buddha. To either side are the bay windows
which have slightly projecting centres and curved walling to the
sides. The central basement windows have cambered heads and iron
grilles. The central ground and first floor windows have round arched
tympana containing terracotta panels. There are stone bands between
the ground and first floors and at the level of the sills of the
ground and first floor windows. All of the first floor windows have
blind parapets below them and all of the windows in the lateral bays
are of four panes. There is a stone parapet of c1850 with panelled
piers to the angles and vase-shaped balusters. To the left is the
service wing which was heavily remodelled c1875. This has a similar
balustrade, the piers supporting models of putti and three projecting
wings, the central one with a Mansard roof and those to either side
being gabled with stucco strapwork in relief including masks of the
Sun, at right, and the Wind at left. This wing connects at the far
left to the base of the Water Tower (q.v.). Right hand return (now
Entrance Front): five bays symmetrically disposed. Central bay
window of c1850 similar to those on the garden front save that it has
an ashlar porch with pilasters to either side of a round arch. Four-
pane sash windows to whole of the facade. There is a similar
balustrade to that on the garden front behind which can be seen a
central pediment masked by the later bay window. Rear: Late C19
gabled porch supported on moulded ashlar console brackets and having a
plaster shell-niche decorated with bull rushes and dolphins in relief.
Interior: Entrance lobby of c1850 with Adamesque decoration including
arched niches to the angles, panelled plaster ceiling and Pompeiian
mosaic to the floor. Staircase hall with tiled floor, canted bay
window and oak fire surround with terms to the sides and a panel of
painted tiles showing the surrender of Calais all of c1875. Open well
staircase of 3 flights with arcade of three arches to first floor of
c1850. Drawing room: marble fire surround with caryatids bearing
baskets on their heads and holding swags of flowers in their hands of
c1755. Painted ceiling showing peacocks and arabesque ornament of
c1875. Further ground floor room with painted ceiling having central
oval showing a naval engagement of c1850. The bachelors wing of 1875
has a ball room with a pseudo hammer-beam roof the horizontal
members of which extend to support obelisks with flame finials.
Fireplace with tiled surround and wooden overmantel inscribed WHEN
FRIENDS MEET HEARTS WARM. Gallery at western end. Billiard room:
ingle nook fireplace with wooden fire surround supported by terms.
Strapwork plaster to ingle-nook walls.
Source: Nikolaus Pevsner & Edward Hubbard - The Buildings of England:
Listing NGR: SJ6764768250
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings