History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Done Recreation Room

A Grade II Listed Building in Tarporley, Cheshire West and Chester

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1578 / 53°9'28"N

Longitude: -2.6697 / 2°40'10"W

OS Eastings: 355318

OS Northings: 362507

OS Grid: SJ553625

Mapcode National: GBR 7M.501H

Mapcode Global: WH88J.YWWJ

Entry Name: Done Recreation Room

Listing Date: 10 March 1953

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1138448

English Heritage Legacy ID: 57260

Location: Tarporley, Cheshire West and Chester, CW6

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Tarporley

Built-Up Area: Tarporley

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Tarporley St Helen

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Tarporley

Listing Text

SJ 56 SE TARPORLEY C.P. (Off) HIGH STREET

1/71 Done Recreation Room

10.3.53

GV II

Parish room. Dated on datestone 1636. Red English bond brick with
ashlar plinth and quoins and slate roof. Two storeys. Churchyard
front: Diapering formed of blue headers arranged in diamond patterns.
Two ground floor windows with moulded stone surrounds containing early
C19 iron-framed fenestration each of three lights. Two similar
windows to first floor. To the left of these at mezzanine level is a
square armorial tablet with strapwork panels to the sides supporting
an entablature and pediment within which is the date. To right of
this, also at mezzanine level and set between the windows is a further
tablet with a moulded border inscribed: "This School, erected in
1636/ by Dame Dorothy Done and/endowed by Mrs John Done in 1662/was
thoroughly repaired by the/Trustees under the Will of/John Arden Esq
decreased in the/Year 1830". To the right is a later lean-to of stone
walling. To the left is another later stone addition of one storey
with arrow-head rustication and a central doorway with ashlar surround
and quirked bead to inner angle. Square stone tablet above with coat
of arms and pilaster pieces to sides. Ridge chimney to centre. The
left hand gable end has a first floor window of four early C19 lights
and a moulded stone surround. Close-studding to the gable above.

Listing NGR: SJ5531962502

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.