History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Whatcroft Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Davenham, Cheshire West and Chester

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2248 / 53°13'29"N

Longitude: -2.4809 / 2°28'51"W

OS Eastings: 367992

OS Northings: 369856

OS Grid: SJ679698

Mapcode National: GBR 7V.0XK5

Mapcode Global: WH99K.V6TN

Entry Name: Whatcroft Hall

Listing Date: 10 March 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1138463

English Heritage Legacy ID: 57211

Location: Davenham, Cheshire West and Chester, CW9

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Davenham

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Davenham St Wilfrid

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Davenham

Listing Text

WHATCROFT C.P. WHATCROFT LANE
SJ 66NE
4/30
10 March 1953 Whatcroft Hall
II*

Mansion, late C18, but with slightly earlier Garden Front. Red brick,
in Flemish Bond, with slate hipped roof. 2 storeys, 6 bays with 5-bay
Garden Front. The Entrance Front has full height projecting corner
pilasters with stone ogee finials at roof level. Pair of 3-panel doors
in pilastered doorcase with festoon and foliage frieze arid dentil
pediment. Recessed sashes with glazing bars, stone sills and flat,
slightly cambered, arches. Moulded eaves gutter. The Garden Front
(south-west) has a brick first floor band, four French Windows and
sashes with exposed weight boxes. At the rear (south-east) there is a
fully glazed door in pilastered and pedimented doorcase, also sash
windows. In the north-east elevation there is a six-panel door, with
radial bar fanlight, also sashes with exposed weight boxes and flat
arches. At roof level there is a copper-covered ogee Cupola, with
weather vane, mounted on a high standing drum which contains four 2-
light Gothick windows. Lead hips and plain stack at external walls.
Interior: A stone spiral staircase, with curtail step, high quality
metal trellis balustrade and hardwood wreathed handrail occupies a
cylindrical-well below the cupola. The cupola drum has a Vitruvian
scroll band, at its base, and an openwork roll cornice and cove at the
base of the cupola. There are fan-like spandrels, also radiating ribs
to a central, foliage motif ceiling rose which supports a brass
chandelier. The Entrance Hall has a ceiling divided into large and
small intersecting squares and an ornate fireplace with carved archi-
traves, floral frieze and egg and dart cornice. The north-west room
has panelled linings to the sashes, a fireplace with festoon and urn
features, and a built-up plaster cornice. The north-east room has a
fireplace with garlands, console blocks and a dentil cornice. There is
a plaster ceiling cornice based on egg and darts with fruits in the
ceiling section. There are a number of six-panel doors throughout the
building.


Listing NGR: SJ6799269856

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.