This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0789 / 53°4'44"N
Longitude: -2.4772 / 2°28'37"W
OS Eastings: 368130
OS Northings: 353625
OS Grid: SJ681536
Mapcode National: GBR 7V.B4SD
Mapcode Global: WH9B4.XWK0
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Last Amended: 15 May 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1138557
English Heritage Legacy ID: 57015
Location: Wistaston, Cheshire East, CW2
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Wistaston
Built-Up Area: Crewe
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Wistaston St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chester
WISTASTON C.P. CHURCH LANE
SJ 65 SE
8/105 Church of St Mary the
listed as Church of
12.1.67 St Mary)
Church, dated R.P.1827 on inscribed brick, by George Latham of Northwich
with additions and alterations of 1884 and 1905. Red Flemish bond
brick with a slate roof. Western tower, nave and chancel. Astylar
Tower of three stages and of square plan. Western face: stone plinth
common to whole building. Slightly projecting door surround with
stone surrounded pedimental top. C19 double doors with fanlight
over. Abutting the door surround is a ½-glazed barrel-vaulted walkway
connecting the church with the parish hall of 1905. (Neither the
walkway nor the hall are listed). Stone band above, Square window to
the ringing chamber of 3 x 2 panes with a stone sill. Stone band
above this below the belfry stage which has an arched window set in a
relieving arch with a stone band at the level of the springing.
Cyma-moulded string course above this below the level of the parapet
which has stone corner piers with obelisk finials. The North and
South sides have quarter-circular projections joining them with the
western end of the nave at the level of the lowest stage. These each
have one-quarter conical roofs. Above this both sides are similar to
the western face save that the window of the bell chamber is replaced
by a circular stone clock face with a moulded edge. Nave: North
face; four round-arched windows with stone sills and a central stone
panel which is rectangular and blank. Similar to south side but with
a projecting lower transept to right hand bay of 1882 in similar style
to the earlier building and with 2 round-arched windows to the west
and one to the east and southern sides. Hipped roof. The vestry
which has a keyed oculus window adjoins the east side and also the
chancel which was rebuilt and extended in 1882 and has one southern
and two northern windows and three eastern lights all of round arched
form and all having panelled ashlar surrounds. The eastern gable end
has a gable in the form of an open pediment.
Interior: The nave ceiling has 3 Panels, the central one being
octagonal with a large rosette to the centre bordered with anthemia.
The chancel screen is richly moulded and has an inscription - TO THE
GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF EDWARD DELVES BROUGHTON DIED OCTOBER 6th
1889. Oak panelling to chancel with oval sunflowers to the upper
panels and Agnus Dei and Alpha and Omega signs to the reredos. The
right hand chancel window is to a design of Burne-Jones and was made
by William Morris and Co.
Source: Nikolaus Pevsner - The Buildings of England : Cheshire
and Edward Hubbard
Listing NGR: SJ6813053625
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.