History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Crewe Hall

A Grade I Listed Building in Crewe Green, Cheshire East

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0827 / 53°4'57"N

Longitude: -2.4 / 2°23'59"W

OS Eastings: 373304

OS Northings: 354021

OS Grid: SJ733540

Mapcode National: GBR 7Y.9ZGD

Mapcode Global: WH9B6.3SF2

Entry Name: Crewe Hall

Listing Date: 20 January 1975

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1138666

English Heritage Legacy ID: 56661

Location: Crewe Green, Cheshire East, CW1

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Crewe Green

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Crewe Green St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Crewe

Listing Text

SH 75 SW CREWE C.P. CREWE HALL PARK

5/17 Crewe Hall
20.1.75
GV I

Jacobean Mansion, 1615-36 for Sir Randolph Crewe (Pevsner). West
service wing added circa 1800, for the first Baron Crewe. 1830-1840
restoration by Blore for the third Baron. Gutted by fire in 1866 and
rebuilt by E M Barry 1870. Further alteration by Thomas Bower in
1896. Red brick with stone dressings, lead and slate roof. 2
storeys, basement and attic. The south entrance front consists of 2
facades of 7 bays of. which the western steps forward of the line of
the eastern by 2 bays. There is a further single storey built against
the west return. The walls of the original Jacobean east wing
survived the fire; these are fronted by a wide paved area and
balustrade with lions on alternate piers and griffin and lion flanking
steps to main entrance. The entrance bay is of stone, set forward,
and has semicircular arched opening flanked by fluted Ionic columns on
strap decorated bases. Above there are tapering Jacobean pilasters,
flanking a 3-light window, and supporting a full width strapwork
cartouche. The stone dressed window above supports the balustraded
parapet and achievement cresting. The porch is flanked by pairs of
single mullion double transome stone dressed windows in diaper work
walls and the bays at the east corner and west wing are canted 2
storey bay windows with shaped gables to the attic windows above and
behind the balustraded eaves parapet. The west wing is plainer with a
single two storey canted bay window, surmounted by shaped gable,
flanked by pairs of single mullion double transome windows and a first
floor oriel midway between similar windows in the west bays. All
quoins have flush stone dressing and there is a full length cornice at
first floor window head level and full length eaves parapet. The east
end has four 2-storey canted bay windows with shaped gables to the end
bays. The north garden front is the reverse of the facade with the
east wing forward. This has an elaborate 2-storey segmental bay,
which is the chapel apse at ground floor level, with solid cartouche
decorated stone panels below cusp headed stained glass lights. The
rear is dominated by a square stone dressed brick tower with ogee roof
and corner chimney pinnacles which rises two storeys above the main
roof of the Hall. The west wing has an arcaded loggia with blind
arcaded rear wall, vaulted ceiling and three Tuscan columns.
Interior: The interest is in the east wing. The South West room, the
"Oak Parlour" has the only original Jacobean chimney piece with "Green
Men" and similar carving of the period; this contrasts unfavourably
with the high quality of workmanship achieved under the direction of
the C19 architects. The Entrance Hall has an elaborate marble chimney
piece with Tuscan columns, pediment and the Crewe Arms. There are oak
panelled walls and a timber panelled ceiling. A triple archivalt
plastered arcade, flanked and divided by marble Tuscan columns and
fluted pilasters, leads to a central hall, with panelling and columns
to four sides forming a cloister arrangement with mezzanine level
timber balustraded gallery over. Columns at gallery level support
hammer beams and elaborate arched trusses supporting a lantern light.
The chapel is north of the central hall. The apsidal chancel is of
marble with miniature Corinthian arcade with alabaster heads of
prophets and Evangelists. There is an elaborate carved altar rail
with opening flanked by angels, benches with carved backs and
poppyheads and wall panelling with bronze medallions of biblical
characters in each panel. The entrance to the ornate choir gallery is
from the mezzanine gallery of the central hall. The open newel
staircase, east of the central hall, is approached by short flights
from east and west and has fluted strings, strapwork, carved animal
newel caps and other high quality carving. The carved parlour has oak
panelling and an alabaster chimney piece with "Time rewarding Industry
and punishing sloth" surmounted by a broken pediment with the head of
Sir Randolph Crewe. The room has a dentil and egg and dart cornice
and deep plaster frieze with figures representing the elements, graces
and virtues. The upper floor has a vaulted gallery round the central
hall with much elaborate plasterwork. The Library has Corinthian
columns flanking the chimney piece, scenes in the frieze and a high
quality ceiling with pendants. The Drawing Room has panelling,
Corinthian pilasters, marble chimney piece, doors with lavish cases
and a ceiling with strapwork and pendants. The Long Gallery has
Corinthian pilasters and a modillion cornice. All rooms in the east
wing generally have chimney pieces, doors and door cases of a high
standard and ceilings based on strapwork, but they all have their own
individual character. A fine house splendidly recast in C19.


Listing NGR: SJ7330454021

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.