History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Stables at Crewe Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Crewe Green, Cheshire East

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0825 / 53°4'57"N

Longitude: -2.4009 / 2°24'3"W

OS Eastings: 373243

OS Northings: 353999

OS Grid: SJ732539

Mapcode National: GBR 7Y.9Z6Q

Mapcode Global: WH9B6.2SZ7

Entry Name: Former Stables at Crewe Hall

Listing Date: 20 January 1975

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1138667

English Heritage Legacy ID: 56662

Location: Crewe Green, Cheshire East, CW1

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Crewe Green

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Crewe Green St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Crewe

Listing Text

SJ 75 SW CREWE C.P. CREWE HALL PARK

5/18 Former Stables at Crewe
Hall
20.1.75
GV II*

Former stables, circa 1636, with tower circa 1837 by Blore. Now
laboratories and offices. Red brick with tiled roof. Built in
quadrangle form with buildings around four sides of a rectangular
yard. Main elevation, east, is of 9 bays, 2 storeys and attic.
Central semi-circular arched opening of stone, with springers and
keystone, flanked by pilasters with recessed panel and 2-light stone
dressed mullion windows. The tower, which rises above the opening, is
flanked by a strapwork blind arcade and passes through the eaves
cornice and parapet. At this level there is a 2-light window with
vertical arrow slots above. There are clock faces in stone surrounds,
bell chamber with arched openings and ogee cupola with corner finials.
The end bays have stone dressed quoins. The second, fourth, sixth and
eighth-bays are set forward and have 3 finial shaped gables. Mainly
three-light mullion windows but two-light attic windows in the shaped
gables. A brick modillion course supports the stone cornice and brick
openwork parapet with stone coping. The north and south gables of the
facade are shaped, there are shaped tiles in the roof and an ornate
crested ridge. The north and south elevations have large
semi-circular arched rusticated carriage openings with springers and
horse head keystones under shaped gables. The walls in the
carriageway tunnels have bands of blue bricks. The eaves treatment is
a brick modillion course, stone cornice, and brick parapet with stone
coping to match the east elevation. The west building has twelve
segmental arched openings, with keystones, with access from the
enclosed yard. At roof level the buildings are built as four gabled
blocks. There are chimneys to the former living quarters in the
buildings with high-standing octagonal flues linked at cap level.
Interior: Altered.


Listing NGR: SJ7324353999

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.