This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1324 / 53°7'56"N
Longitude: -2.2399 / 2°14'23"W
OS Eastings: 384047
OS Northings: 359497
OS Grid: SJ840594
Mapcode National: GBR 12P.QHL
Mapcode Global: WHBC6.KJLH
Entry Name: Icehouse Tower at Great Moreton Hall
Listing Date: 26 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1138737
English Heritage Legacy ID: 56515
Location: Moreton cum Alcumlow, Cheshire East, CW12
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Moreton cum Alcumlow
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Astbury St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 85 NW
MORETON CUM ALCUMLOW C.P.
(Off) NEW ROAD
Icehouse tower at Great Moreton Hall
Icehouse. c. 1841-43. By Edward Blore. Coursed yellow sandstone
rubble of 3 storeys. Garden front: at left is a portion of walling
connecting it with the drying ground. This walling has a central
archway with a cambered head and three further receding archways
between which are channels carved as if to take portcullises. Above
this is a walkway. To right is the hexagonal body of the icehouse.
This has a porchway to the left-hand canted face, supporting the
walkway above which leads to a blocked doorway. The face at right of
this has a 2-light window to the ground floor and lancets to the first
and second floors. The entrance front has the wall containing a
cambered arch at right with a battlemented parapet above with
machicolation. To left of this is the tower which has to its right
hand angle a doorway. Blank walling above.
Interior: the floors and roof have been removed. Leading off from
the ground floor is a tunnel-vaulted corridor of brick which leads to
a circular chamber with domed ceiling and dished floor, also of brick.
The tunnel joins this chamber at its upper body.
Listing NGR: SJ 84047 59497
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings