This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1925 / 53°11'33"N
Longitude: -2.4456 / 2°26'43"W
OS Eastings: 370327
OS Northings: 366250
OS Grid: SJ703662
Mapcode National: GBR 7X.2SKC
Mapcode Global: WH99S.D0PW
Entry Name: 10, Hightown
Listing Date: 10 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1138769
English Heritage Legacy ID: 56408
Location: Middlewich, Cheshire East, CW10
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Middlewich
Built-Up Area: Middlewich
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Middlewich St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 76 NW
HIGHTOWN (South side)
Butcher's shop at time of listing. Probably 1928 (dated tile panels). Red brick with white, brown and cream glazed-tile facade and interior, Welsh slate roof. Single-storey, double-fronted shop with small store-room wing to rear. Symmetrical facade has central, glazed double door beneath overlight bearing name 'Vernons'. Splayed door reveals and flanking shop fronts are fully-glazed above tiled panels with words 'MEAT PURVEYORS'. End pilasters have geometrical panels and twin consoles over which a continuous cornice breaks forward (frieze covered by later signboard). Parapet has end dies with rams' heads in relief and central segmental pediment with tympanum having relief bull's head in roundel flanked by spandrels with floral motifs. Left return: panelled double-door on left has 4-pane overlight; brick gable wall with corbelled verge and apex finial.
Interior: fully tiled with brown skirting, dado rail and with frieze panel of swags and ribbons. Original meat-hanging rails. Opposite the front door is a cash office and to its left is a painted-tile panel in architrave which depicts cattle in a rural scene; to the right is a similar scene with sheep. Left side of shop has 2 matching scenes with pigs and the right side has an elongated panel with sheep flanked by panels with cattle. The painted panels are signed 'S Bagshaw 1928'. Rare unaltered survival.
Listing NGR: SJ7032766250
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings