History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael and All Angels

A Grade II* Listed Building in Middlewich, Cheshire East

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1925 / 53°11'33"N

Longitude: -2.4446 / 2°26'40"W

OS Eastings: 370390

OS Northings: 366250

OS Grid: SJ703662

Mapcode National: GBR 7X.2ST3

Mapcode Global: WH99S.F04W

Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels

Listing Date: 5 December 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1138795

English Heritage Legacy ID: 56361

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire East, CW10

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Middlewich

Built-Up Area: Middlewich

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Middlewich St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Middlewich

Listing Text

MIDDLEWICH C.P. HIGH TOWN
SJ 76 NW
2/30 Church of St Michael and
All Angels

GV II*

Church, largely circa 1500 with a little C12 work inside and heavily
restored by Joseph Clarke 1857-60. Red sandstone with low-pitched
roofs. North-west tower, aisled nave with south porch, chancel with
chapels continuing from nave aisles. Crenellated 3-stage tower has
diagonal buttresses, west window to vestry with intersecting tracery
and panel-work, clock faces to west and east and 2-light bellringer's
chamber window to north and south, paired 2-light bell-openings under
single ogee hoodmoulds, quatrefoil band below parapet. 4-light
panel-traceried aisle and chapel windows, north door with
square-topped 4-light window above, 2-storey south porch with 3-light
window over doorway, 3-light clerestorey windows. Canted west end to
south aisle and east end to south chapel. 2 panel-traceried 4-light
windows to east end of south chapel, reticulated east window to
chancel flanked by 1-light window to each side, 5-light
panel-traceried window and basket-arched doorway in east end of north
chapel. Crenellation with crocketed pinnacles above buttresses.
Interior: Nave of 4 full and 1 narrow bays;the narrow bay is at east
end with late Norman pier and chancel respond in each arcade, the
other bays are Perpendicular with octagonal piers and double-chamfered
arches. Camber-beamed, panelled oak roof with carved bosses. Oak
trusses to south chapel roof. Chancel arch has continuous moulding
and no capitals. Chancel arcades have 2 4-centred arches south and 2
probably earlier arches north. North chapel has 1 basket-arched truss
on carved-head corbels. C16/C17 screen to chapels, restored, with
small carvings; screen overthrows now in tower vestry, one inscribed
ANNO DNI 1632: Peter Venables, the other, from Kinderton (north)
Chapel has many painted heraldic panels. Continental east window
glass, 1860; late C19/early C20 memorial glass, stalls and 1 carved
misericord in chancel (north side).


Listing NGR: SJ7039066250

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.