History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Canal Stables and Sawpit House

A Grade II Listed Building in Middlewich, Cheshire East

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1892 / 53°11'21"N

Longitude: -2.4412 / 2°26'28"W

OS Eastings: 370617

OS Northings: 365881

OS Grid: SJ706658

Mapcode National: GBR 7X.31JY

Mapcode Global: WH99S.G3RF

Entry Name: Canal Stables and Sawpit House

Listing Date: 5 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1138791

English Heritage Legacy ID: 56355

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire East, CW10

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Middlewich

Built-Up Area: Middlewich

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Middlewich St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Middlewich

Listing Text

MIDDLEWICH C.P. CANAL TERRACE
SJ 76 NW
2/54A Canal stables and
Sawpit-house

GV II

Service buildings of the Trent and Mersey Canal and still in the ownership of British
Waterways. The sawpit building has early features and could well share the circa 1777
canal date but the stables are probably early C19. Red brick, C18 slates with diminishing
courses to the sawpit-house, later thin slates on the stables.
Sawpit house: Two window bays, single storey. Two-light-casements. Double ledged
and braced door, on strap hinges with sandstone hinge blocks, under chamfered beam
in gable-end (east). The gable has exposed purlins and barge boards. Lead ridge.
Interior: Brick built saw pit full length of building approximately 7.5m long 1.5m
wide and 1.8m deep said to be used for cutting lock gate beams. The roof is supported
by a collar truss with short king post and there are two chamfered purlins.
Stables: Two truss bays, single storey and loft. Feeding passage boarded door in
rebated brick opening under gauged eliptical arch with stone keystone. The door is
on strap hinges with stone hinge blocks. Stable entry double doors, similar to last
described, but with the eliptical arch springing from the upper hinge blocks. Between
the doors there is a small wood window of which the upper section is a hopper light.
The window is surmounted, at loft level, by a circular pitch hole with stone surround.
There is a small loft level, east gable, window which overlooks the roof of the sawpit
building. There are patterns of breather holes in the apexes of east and west gables
and projecting brick verge and eaves treatment slightly suggestive of the open pediment.
Blue clay tile ridge.
Interior: The roof has a single king post truss without struts. There are no
remaining internal features indicative of the original use of the building.


Listing NGR: SJ7061765880

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.