This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.282 / 53°16'55"N
Longitude: -2.2389 / 2°14'19"W
OS Eastings: 384170
OS Northings: 376141
OS Grid: SJ841761
Mapcode National: GBR DZTH.26
Mapcode Global: WHBBF.LR2T
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 14 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1138849
English Heritage Legacy ID: 58281
Location: Nether Alderley, Cheshire East, SK10
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Nether Alderley
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Alderley St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 87 NW NETHER ALDERLEY C.P. CHURCH DRIVE
4/115 Church of St Mary
Church: C14 core, early C16 tower, early C17 additions, chancel of
1856 by Cuffley and Starkey, vestry dated 1860, general restoration
1877-8 by Austin and Paley. Ashlar buff and red sandstone. Kerridge
stone-slate roof, 4-bay nave and aisles, 3-bay chancel, massive
4-stage tower and south porch. Porch has diagonal buttresses,
crocketted pinnacles on the gable and a segmentally arched entrance.
Studded oak door with iron strap hinges in pointed arch behind. South
aisle has a 3-light window with trefoil cusped heads and the 2-storey
exterior of the Stanley pew (approached by a flight of stone steps to
the right) with rectangular windows of 5 round-headed lights.
Clerestorey with simple 2-light windows. Chancel in Decorated style,
the east window with reticulated tracery. North aisle has an inserted
Jacobean dormer probably to light 3-decker pulpit. Tower has diagonal
buttresses and bands at each stage. Pointed arched doorcase with
Victorian Decorated west window. Simple 2-light window in 3rd stage
and a pair of louvred 2-light Y-traceried bell openings above.
Gorgoyles support an embattled parapet.
Interior: 4-bay arcades on octagonal piers and with weakly pointed
arches. South aisle contains the Stanley flying pew. Jacobean
arcaded panelling to front with painted heraldry and a C18 Gothick
hood. Inside is further panelling containing some medieval carving
and a coved pyramidal Jacobean strapwork ceiling with a pendant. C18
musician's gallery has arms of Stanleys and other local landowners and
now contains an organ of 1875. In chancel 2 Victorian recumbant
effigies, the 1st Lord Stanley by Richard Westmacott jnr, the 2nd Lord
Stanley by George Nelson with cosmatiesque work and a brass panel
showing Lady Stanley and her 10 children. C14 font with plain
circular bowl with carved head bosses on a cluster of 4 columns is
very similar to Prestbury. Nave has a panelled barrel roof with
cambered moulded tiebeams and the aisles have moulded panelled lean-to
roofs (Pevsner and Hubbard).
The flying pew is unique in Cheshire, and the similarity of the tower
with that in Mobberley suggests it is also by Richard Platt.
Listing NGR: SJ8417076141
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings