History in Structure

Old School

A Grade II* Listed Building in Nether Alderley, Cheshire East

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.2817 / 53°16'54"N

Longitude: -2.2387 / 2°14'19"W

OS Eastings: 384178

OS Northings: 376108

OS Grid: SJ841761

Mapcode National: GBR DZTH.39

Mapcode Global: WHBBF.LS41

Plus Code: 9C5V7QJ6+MG

Entry Name: Old School

Listing Date: 14 April 1967

Last Amended: 6 July 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1216836

English Heritage Legacy ID: 58285

Also known as: Parish Hall
Church Hall

ID on this website: 101216836

Location: Nether Alderley, Cheshire East, Cheshire, SK10

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Nether Alderley

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Alderley St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Tagged with: School building Church hall

Find accommodation in
Alderley Edge


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 21/01/2020

SJ 87 NW

Old School

(formerly listed as Church Hall, CHURCH DRIVE, previously listed as Parish Hall (Old School)


Former free school, presented to the parish in 1908 and used as a parish hall: dated 1628 for Hugh Shaw, addition to rear dated 1817 for Rev. Edward Stanley. Ashlar red sandstone. Kerridge stone-slate roof, stone ridge and one brick chimney. Originally rectangular in plan now L-shaped.

One and a half storey, three-bay north front.Left end bay has a studded oak board door under a wooden lintel approached by five steps. Central bay has a rebated four-light chamfered stone mullioned window with a similar there-light in a stone coped and column finialled gabled half dormer. To right is a bead-moulded doorcase with a heavy cambered lintel containing a studded, three-board oak door with iron strap hinges. Above plaque reads "Mr Hugh Shaw Clerk/ built this School Ano 1628/Mr Thomas Deane de Park/Endowed it Jan:y 30th 1694".

Similar four- and five-light mullions in the gable end. To right and set back is part of additional range on stone plinth and with a projecting band at first floor and a three-light chamfered stone mullion in first storey below a small coped gable containing the date plaque. Square wooden bellcote on ridge with shaped lead roof and ball finial.

Interior: in the original the schoolroom was above and the master's house below. Chamfered ceiling beam with flat and tongue stop and studded eight-board door with cambered wooden lintel between old and new portions. Very heavy roof timbers visible in old schoolroom. Addition has some panelling from the church.

Listing NGR: SJ8417876108

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.