This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1869 / 53°11'13"N
Longitude: -2.124 / 2°7'26"W
OS Eastings: 391811
OS Northings: 365546
OS Grid: SJ918655
Mapcode National: GBR 128.9T8
Mapcode Global: WHBC2.B5T4
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 14 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1138907
English Heritage Legacy ID: 58118
Location: Bosley, Cheshire East, SK11
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Bosley
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Bosley St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Chester
BOSLEY C.P. LEEK ROAD (West Side)
SJ 96 NW
1/7 Church of St.Mary the
Church, tower circa 1500, nave 1777, chancel 1834 by James Green.
Tower red sandstone; nave and chancel Flemish bond red brick with
roofs of large grey slates. Tower of 3 stages has C19 boarded west
door in medieval arch, diagonal buttresses with tooled quoins above,
roughly-squared rubble walls, west window of 2 trefoil lights,
bell-openings converted to 3 trefoil lights 1878-9, hoodmoulds on
grotesque and head corbels. Top 6 feet and battlements are of 1878-9.
Four-bay nave has 6 pointed windows with stone pads and keystones and
2 windows (east) altered and with stone cases of 1834. One-bay
chancel has 3-lancet stone east window, lancet south window and C20
north window of 2 lancets. Coped east gable to nave with kneelers and
crocketed finial; hipped chancel.
Interior: Queenpost trusses to nave, partly of oak; plaster walls;
round chancel arch; light C20 Geometrical roodscreen of oak; glass
of late C19 and late C20. Good mid C17 oak pulpit on pillar has
panels and corner colonettes; organ 1879; parish chest probably late
C16; C19 stone font; plain oak pews; monument to John William
Nowell, railway engineer, 1806-51 by Sanders, Euston Road. 6 bells;
3 are old (1663, 1756 and 1756), with inscriptions.
Listing NGR: SJ9181165546
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings