This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.973 / 54°58'22"N
Longitude: -1.6129 / 1°36'46"W
OS Eastings: 424875
OS Northings: 564338
OS Grid: NZ248643
Mapcode National: GBR SPB.SW
Mapcode Global: WHC3R.686F
Entry Name: Exchange Buildings
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Last Amended: 30 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1138984
English Heritage Legacy ID: 304602
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate
Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Newcastle St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 2464 SE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE MARKET STREET
14.6.54 Nos. 20-36 even
The left return of Nos. 87-109 Grey Street (Exchange Buildings).
NZ 2464 SE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE GREY STREET
14/6/54 Nos. 87 to 109 odd
(formerly listed as
Nos. 87 to 105 odd
Nos. 107 and 109
Incorporates Nos 120-150 odd Grainger Street and Nos 24-36 even, Market Street.
Shops and offices and bank. Circa 1840 for Richard Grainger. The east front of
a triangular block between Market Street, Grainger Street and this street, containing
Central Arcade. Sandstone ashlar; Welsh slate roof and lead-covered corner domes.
4 storeys with rounded 5-bay corners; 7:6:7 bays. Central Arcade entrance, with
high rounded hood on modillions over keyed arch inserted 1901 in bay to right of
central pavilion. High office entrance in left bay of central pavilion has steps
up to renewed door in panelled surround with bracketed hood; flower-carved
brackets, dentilled cornice. Ground floor, partly rusticated, has c.1900 shops
with slender pilasters; Tuscan pilasters to panelled double office door at right
end before curved corner. Upper floors have giant Corinthian Order to curved
corners. Plain sashes, those on second floor with moulded sills, under dentilled
cornice; pilasters flank top sashes in plain reveals under cornice; vertical
consoles above pilasters support drum with scroll-carved blocking course and
antefixae on cornice; high ribbed dome has copper Prince of Wales feathers finial.
Central pavilion has giant square Tuscan pilasters; plain reveals to windows in
central 4 bays, architraves to those in outer bays, with bracketed cornices on
first floor. Second floor entablature has dentilled cornice. Pilasters on top
floor and sashes in plain reveals under top cornice. Pierced balustrade above
end bays. Plainer intermediate sections have sashes in plain reveals with moulded
sills on second floor; continuous top entablature with blocking course. Other
facades in similar style.
Listing NGR: NZ2487564338
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings