This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3824 / 53°22'56"N
Longitude: -2.5281 / 2°31'41"W
OS Eastings: 364969
OS Northings: 387416
OS Grid: SJ649874
Mapcode National: GBR BYSB.G6
Mapcode Global: WH98S.47DS
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 14 June 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1139326
English Heritage Legacy ID: 59032
Location: Grappenhall and Thelwall, Warrington, WA4
Civil Parish: Grappenhall and Thelwall
Built-Up Area: Warrington
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Thelwall All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 68 NW GRAPPENHALL C.P. THELWALL NEW ROAD
(south side) Thelwall
1/24 Church of All Saints
Church: nave 1843 by J.M.Allen; chancel 1857; north aisle, vestry
and west porch 1890 by William Owen. Rockfaced sandstone with steeply
pitched grey slate roofs. Nave of 6 bays has lancets, buttresses and
corbel-table; west bellcote has 1 bell; chancel of 2 bays has
2-light plate-tracery windows to south and 3 lancets with stilted
quatrefoil window above, to east; north vestry and north aisle
combined have 2 lancets, with stilted quatrefoil above, to east, 2
triple lancets in arched recesses flanked by single lancets, to north
and 2 lancets with trefoil window above, to west; the west porch,
ornately moulded, has door on south side; the west end of nave has 2
lancets with trefoil window above.
Interior: The nave arcade has 2 small and 2 large arches (a: b: b: a)
on octagonal piers; the nave has arch-braced trusses; the chancel
has floor of marble and coloured glazed tiles, and scissor-trussed
rafters; vigorous reredos has 2 panels of Biblical scenes in marble
separated by plaster angels from 2 painted panels on each side.
(Elijah; St.Michael; St.George; St.Werburgh). Fresco over chancel
arch. Glass in a nave window to Sir W.P.Rylands (with wire drawer at
work); in north aisle to Henry Stanton. Good tablet, 1906, by Eric
Gill in classical painted wooden case by F.C.Eden and Helfar Bros.
commemorates the foundation of Thelwall by Edward the Elder in 923.
Listing NGR: SJ6496987416
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings