History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chelford, Cheshire East

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2642 / 53°15'51"N

Longitude: -2.271 / 2°16'15"W

OS Eastings: 382020

OS Northings: 374170

OS Grid: SJ820741

Mapcode National: GBR DZLP.4L

Mapcode Global: WHBBM.26VX

Entry Name: The Manor House

Listing Date: 14 April 1967

Last Amended: 28 November 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1139331

English Heritage Legacy ID: 59042

Location: Chelford, Cheshire East, SK11

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Chelford

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Chelford St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Marthall

Listing Text

CHELFORD C.P. HOLMES CHAPEL ROAD
SJ 87 SW

6/1 The Manor House
14 4 67 (formerly listed as
Manor House)

GV II*

House. Early C17. Addition of late C17 date and another dated by
inscription IOHN BROOKE ECCL 2 II
MARY 1671.
Further C19 and C20 additions, those in 1902 by Isaac Massey the
builders for Col. Dixon,JP. Stone plinth, timber framing with brick
and rendered brick infill. Slate and cement tile roof. Two and three
storeys. Entrance front: gable-ended core of original 2-cell building
to left of centre has stone plinth and 7 x 3 cells of small framing
with angle braces. Door to left. Moulded bressumer for jetty
supported on brackets. C17 or C18 casement window to first floor. To
right of this is the late Cl7 range of 7 x 3 cells of small framing on
a stone plinth to the ground floor and a similar number of cells to
the first floor. Ground floor window of three Cl7 or C18casement
lights. C20 door to right. Two C17 or C18 casement lights to first
floor. Decorative framing to gable of diamond patterned small framing
with cross motifs. To right of this is the dated range of 1671 with 4
x 3 cells of small framing to the ground floor and a 3-light casement
window. Inscription to upper horizontal beam. Moulded
jetty-bressumer immediately above this. First floor has. 3i x 2 cells
of ornamental panelling with cusped 1/4-circle decorative motifs and a
Cl7 or C18 4-light casement window. Further moulded bressumer jettied
to third floor which has 3 x 2 cells of small framing with 3-light
casement window in gable which has fleur-de-lys motifs to the apex and
sides. Extensive C19 and C20 additions to left and right and at the
rear of the house.
Interior: Two full crucks to the early C17 portion of the house
originally forming an open hall but divided into two floors in the mid
or late C17. Later C17 portion has small framing to internal walls
and chamfered ceiling beams. Richly moulded bressumer to parlour
ingle-nook fireplace with ovolo-moulded supporting piers of stone.
Tension brace to former external wall. C19 inscription on interior
side of beam recording the building of 1671 reads "When thou hast
eaten and art full then shalt thou thank the Lord thy God". First
floor bedroom and dressing room have C18 ogee-moulded plaster
ceilings. Fine C17 staircase with moulded splat balusters with
heart-shaped holes, moulded hand rail and ribbed newel posts with
octagonally faceted ball knops. Some C17 or C18 glass surviving.


Listing NGR: SJ8202074170

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.