This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2595 / 53°15'34"N
Longitude: -2.1792 / 2°10'45"W
OS Eastings: 388140
OS Northings: 373622
OS Grid: SJ881736
Mapcode National: GBR FZ7R.08
Mapcode Global: WHBBN.HBHK
Entry Name: Church of St Thomas
Listing Date: 28 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1139336
English Heritage Legacy ID: 59055
Location: Henbury, Cheshire East, SK11
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Henbury
Built-Up Area: Henbury
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Henbury St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Chester
HENBURY C.P. CHURCH LANE
SJ 87 SE
7/15 Church of St Thomas
Church. 1844-5. By Richard Lane (Colvin). Chancel of c.1870.
Coursed rubble with plain and fishscale tile roof. West tower, nave
chancel and south-eastern vestry. Western tower of 2 stages with
octangonal spire. Blind wall to lower stage and clasping buttresses
with off-sets. Stone band between stages and louvred lancet
bell-opening above having a hood mould with decorated end-stops. West
front: lower wall projects to level of face of clasping buttresses
thus allowing a deep reveal to the west door. Above this the wall is
recessed between the buttresses as on the other faces. Two-light
decorated window with cusping and quatrefoil to apex and hood-mould
with floral end-stops. Circular clock face above and lancet above
that as in southern and northern fronts. Broach spire with lucarnes
to alternate faces. Nave of 5 bays. South front has projecting
plinths supporting pilaster buttresses of the same depth which rise to
3/4 of height of wall and then die via off-sets. Simple lancet
windows between with ashlar quoins and voussoirs. Gabled porch to
second bay from west of later date than main building. Simple corbel
table below eaves. Vestry adjoining and obscuring chancel has gabled
end with central gable chimney stack. North front: similar save for
absence of vestry and quarter-octagonal stair turret in angle between
west wall of nave and west tower. Bands of fish-scale tiling to nave
and chancel roof alternating with plain tiles.
Interior: Very deeply chamfered arch to chancel with pulpit set
against right hand reveal; passage staircase to pulpit from vestry.
Enriched pulpit and capitals and east window of 3 lights with 2
sexfoil and one cinquefoil to apex. Stained glass of c.1860 western
organ gallery supported on iron columns. Monuments to Edward Marsland
of 1869 by M Noble and E Thomas Marsland also of 1869 by M Noble.
Listing NGR: SJ8814073622
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings