This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3974 / 53°23'50"N
Longitude: -2.52 / 2°31'11"W
OS Eastings: 365520
OS Northings: 389078
OS Grid: SJ655890
Mapcode National: GBR BYV4.7V
Mapcode Global: WH98L.8V8V
Entry Name: The Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 22 August 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1139360
English Heritage Legacy ID: 58911
Location: Woolston, Warrington, WA1
Civil Parish: Woolston
Built-Up Area: Warrington
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Woolston
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
SJ 68 NE WOOLSTON WEIR LANE
7/33 The Church of St Peter
Catholic church 1831 (Pevsner). Brick with rendered plinth and quoins
and modern tyrolean treatment elsewhere with slate roof. Rectangular
building of 4 bays in lancet style with presbytery behind chancel at
south end. North gable entrance to the nave is pair of 4 panel doors
in gothic opening with timber panelled transome. The entrance is
flanked by cast iron lattice windows in lancent openings with stone
sills and a single bell is hung in an opening over the door. Two-way
projecting quoint pilasters with moulded eaves cornices and pyramid
finials. Lead covered gable coping. Nave walls have lattice windows
in lancet openings but those nearest chancel have stained glass.
Projecting coved eaves cornice with lead gutter.
Interior: Apsidal sanctuary set into wall common to presbytery.
Marble altar, reredos and dado with terrazzo up to deep plaster
cornice and painted ceiling. Main alter flanked west by marble "Lady"
altar and east by vestry door with mosaic memorial pictures above each
and whole wall in marble up to coved ceiling cornice. Side walls
brown marble dado with white marble to window arch springing lines.
Mosaic stations of the cross with mosaic memorial pictures (1875 to
1912) above in spaces between windows. Grained timber choir gallery
and screen north end of nave, flat ceiling with cove.
Listing NGR: SJ6552089078
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings