This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2038 / 52°12'13"N
Longitude: 0.1167 / 0°7'0"E
OS Eastings: 544743
OS Northings: 258287
OS Grid: TL447582
Mapcode National: GBR L79.SCS
Mapcode Global: VHHK2.ZV1Y
Entry Name: King's College, South Range of First Court, Including the Library and the Former Provost's Lodge
Listing Date: 26 April 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1139452
English Heritage Legacy ID: 47167
Location: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB2
Electoral Ward/Division: Newnham
Built-Up Area: Cambridge
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Cambridge St Edward King and Martyr
Church of England Diocese: Ely
South Range of First Court,
including the Library and
the former Provost's Lodge.
TL 4458 SE 6/269 26.4.50.
1824-28. Architect, William Wilkins. Ketton stone ashlar with slate roofs
in the Tudor-Gothic style. 3 blocks, each of 3 storeys, joined together.
Hall of 10 bays with 2 timber lanterns on the roof. Panelled internally.
Glass mostly of heraldic type. 7 bay blocks on either side ofthe Hall
the West block with the Combination Room and the Orangery.
Library Ground floor remodelled in C20 and an open way made through it.
7 bays on the North front, six on the South. The interior is of 6 bays
with a panelled ceiling and original oak bookcases.
Former Provost's Lodge Turretted and embattled with oriel windows. Doorway
with 4-centred head. The interior has several good plaster ceilings with
Neo-Greek enrichment, and carved stone fireplaces, with other interior
Listing NGR: TL4474358287
Other nearby listed buildings