This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2249 / 53°13'29"N
Longitude: -2.1665 / 2°9'59"W
OS Eastings: 388977
OS Northings: 369777
OS Grid: SJ889697
Mapcode National: GBR 11M.YWC
Mapcode Global: WHBBV.P6HJ
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 25 July 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1139496
English Heritage Legacy ID: 58592
Location: Gawsworth, Cheshire East, SK11
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Gawsworth
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Gawsworth St James
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 86 NE GAWSWORTH C.P. CHURCH LANE
5/6A The Old Rectory
Rectory, now private house. Late C16. Timber framed with rendered and
painted infill and plain tile roof. Two storeys with attic. Hall
house. Early C19 2-storey gabled porch to centre with pointed arch to
ground floor having roll moulding to rectangular wooden surround with
quatrefoils to spandrels. Jetty to first floor which has two-light
casement window set in close studding. Gable has decorated
bargeboards. To left is hall range with close studded walls and four
arched braces. This has a canted C20 oriel window to ground floor
right with paired 2-light C19 casements at left. Two-light first
floor window at left. To extreme left is a gabled projecting
single-storey wing with slightly projecting C19 window bay. To right
of porch is a late C19 chimney breast in the re-entrant angle with a
canted C19 ground floor bay window adjoining this at right.
Three-light window above and 2-light gabled dormer to attic with
decorated bargeboards. Three and 2-light ground floor windows to
right of this with single light to first floor and similar gabled
dormer to attic at right. To right of this is a projecting
single-storey gabled wing with close-studding and arched bracing and
Rear: Large gabled C19 brick additions to centre and right. To left
is a C19 outshut at ground floor level with close-studded walling to
first floor with arched braces.
Interior: Hall, 2 bays. Truss of cambered tie beam with moulded boss
to centre supported on heavy moulded arched braces with queen posts
above. C20 replacement canted oriel at west end of south wall.
Screened wall at eastern end with three four-centred doors with
moulded frames. Timbered first floor passage above. (Perhaps
originally open gallery). C20 fireplace to North wall incorporating a
C16 panel bearing inscription relating to the Fitton family. To left
of this is a 2-light C15 window with wooden frame, moulded mullion and
ogee heads to lights. Study: moulded ceiling beams with bosses. Mary
Fitton room: Small framing to walls and moulded beams. Moulded
plaster ceiling to passage outside Mary Fitton room. Hall bedroom
truss of cambered tie beam with angled braces. Fireplace of 1724 with
bolection-moulded surround and painted panel to overmantel recording
the restoration of the building by the Rector, William Hall. A later
restoration, in 1873, was by Norman Shaw.
One of the best preserved medium-sized houses of the period in
Cheshire, particularly valuable for the survival of the open hall.
Sources: Nikolaus Pevsner & Edward Hubbard - The Buildings of England,
Cheshire. Raymond Richards, The Manor of Gawsworth. Andrew Saint,
Richard Norman Shaw, 1976, p.411
Listing NGR: SJ8897769777
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings