This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2255 / 53°13'31"N
Longitude: -2.1633 / 2°9'47"W
OS Eastings: 389192
OS Northings: 369836
OS Grid: SJ891698
Mapcode National: GBR 11M.ZTW
Mapcode Global: WHBBV.R614
Entry Name: Gawsworth New Hall
Listing Date: 14 April 1967
Last Amended: 25 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159278
English Heritage Legacy ID: 58596
Location: Gawsworth, Cheshire East, SK11
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Gawsworth
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Gawsworth St James
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 86 NE GAWSWORTH C.P. CHURCH LANE
5/10 Gawsworth New Hall
(formerly listed as the
Country House. 1707-1712 with later additions and alterations,
including those dated on datestone of 1914 by Sir Hubert Worthington.
Red Flemish bond brick with stone slate roof. Two storeys and attic,
E-shaped plan. Garden front: 16 bays. Slightly projecting plinth.
String course between floors. C19 sash windows of 4 panes to both
floors replacing original casement lights. Flat-arched heads of
gauged brick, those at ground floor level being deeper. Doorway at
fifth ground floor bay from left replacing original window. Doorway
at seventh bay from right now replaced by a window. Break in band
above this indicates possible large doorcase. All windows have stone
sills. Hipped dormers to attic. Left hand reveal: 7 bays similar to
garden front save that the ground floor sash windows have 3 x 5 panes
and there is a central elaborate wooden doorcase by Sir Hubert
Worthington with Corinthian pilasters and segmental open pediment
containing swags in high relief supporting a coat of arms of the first
Earl of Harrington. First floor window second from right now replaced
by triple single-light sashed windows. Courtyard front: Central
projecting wing with brick quoins to corners and square datestone to
first floor centre containing date 1914 with initial H and coronet
over in circular cable surround. Four bays to either side, those in
the re-entrant angles to central projection being single storey
slightly recessed wings, contemporary with it. Other bays as on
garden front with door at left and breaks in string course at right
and left indicating probable original doorcases. Projecting wings at
either side with usual fenestration but altered by insertion of
smaller windows to service rooms, fire escape at right of right hand
wing and garage door at left of left hand wing. Original 2-light
casement window surviving in right hand wing at first floor level in
second bay from left of cross form with 4 x 10 panes to lower lights
and 4 x 6 panes above. Similar upper portion of window whose lower
lights have been replaced with plate glass at ground floor right of
left hand wing.
Interior: Drawing room: late C18 wooden panelled fireplace with
painted canvas overmantel of flowers in a vase. Mid Victorian
Adam-style surround to another ground floor fireplace. Some
hob-grates surviving to attics.
The house was started by Lord Mohun but abandoned after his death in a
duel with the Duke of Hamilton in 1712 in which both men were killed.
R Richards - The Manor of Gawsworth
Nikolaus Pevsner & - The Buildings of England : Cheshire
Listing NGR: SJ8919169837
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings