This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2969 / 53°17'48"N
Longitude: -2.1568 / 2°9'24"W
OS Eastings: 389646
OS Northings: 377782
OS Grid: SJ896777
Mapcode National: GBR FZC9.VW
Mapcode Global: WHBBG.VD4C
Entry Name: Spittle House (West Range Only)
Listing Date: 6 July 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1139569
English Heritage Legacy ID: 58348
Location: Prestbury, Cheshire East, SK10
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Prestbury
Built-Up Area: Macclesfield
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Prestbury St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 87 NE PRESTBURY C.P. BOLLIN GROVE
5/182 Spittle House (West
Formerly part of monastic leper hospital, now part of house: perhaps
C14 with C17 and C20 repairs. Timber framed on a sandstone plinth.
Kerridge stone-slate roof and stone ridge. Rectangular plan of 2
bays. East front has 10 by 2 tall rectangular panels with angle
bracing of the wall plate and a glazed door in an earlier opening and
an inserted C20 window. To left is an extension in rubble stone and
to right in C20 brick.
Interior: 3 pairs of matched elbow crucks with a tie beam, 2 tall
queen posts, a collar (later insertions) and a small triangular yoke.
Wind braced through purlins and ridge. The southern bay appears to
have been open to the roof and the ridge shows evidence of burning.
The northern bay was of 2 storeys, there being slots for the joints in
the tie beams and a rebated doorcase between the queen posts. The
jambs of the crucks are chamfered.
The hospital was managed by St.Werburgh's Abbey, Chester who held the
parish of Prestbury, and is a remarkable survival of a timber framed
Monastic building of a simple plan and construction.
Listing NGR: SJ8964677782
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings