This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2901 / 53°17'24"N
Longitude: -2.1532 / 2°9'11"W
OS Eastings: 389886
OS Northings: 377023
OS Grid: SJ898770
Mapcode National: GBR FZDD.N9
Mapcode Global: WHBBG.WKVM
Entry Name: The Vicarage
Listing Date: 8 August 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390555
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490493
Location: Prestbury, Cheshire East, SK10
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Prestbury
Built-Up Area: Macclesfield
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Prestbury St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Chester
203/0/10010 THE VILLAGE
Vicarage. 1893, with minor late C20 alterations. By Ernest Newton, architect. Red brick with tile hanging and timber framing, gable and ridge chimneys and hipped roof with a plain tile roof covering. Restrained Arts and Crafts style.
PLAN: L-shaped plan, aligned north-south, with low service wing extending from north gable.
EXTERIOR: Entrance(west)front of 2 storeys and attic, and 3 bays. Advanced timber-framed gable to centre and extending forward of it, a pitched roofed open porch, also timber-framed with a wide shallow arched opening and timber mullioned windows to side walls. The porch encloses a half-glazed door with a single side light. In the framed gable above, multi-pane casement frames are set within the frame members to light the main stair. To the left, 2 and 3-light ground floor casements and flat-roofed 3-light dormer window to attic, Single storeyed service range further left with hipped roof and 2 wide double doorways.
Blind bay to right of entrance porch. Garden (east) front with half-hipped gable to right with canted ground floor bay window, 4-light transomed first floor window and 3-light window to gable apex. Further left, 3 and 4-light transomed windows. Centre bay doorway integral to window opening, and to its left, a square window with a stone frame lights inglenook fireplace. Right return at junction with set back service range has a second square window, and a projecting chimney with diagonally-set linked stacks. Left return with canted bay window within tile hung end wall, 2 light first floor window and 4 -light attic window below half hip
INTERIOR: Front entrance opens onto spacious stair hall, with closed string turned baluster dog-leg stair. The hall gives access to the service range, dining room, study and main reception room, all with 2-panel doors and original hearth surrounds. Dining room with chamfered spine beam and wainscot panelling and hearth with overmantle shelf. Main reception room with full-height panelling, with inlay work to panel framing and moulded cornice. Wide inglenook fireplace set behind chamfered bressumer, and with panelled overmantle to hearth. Bay window with fitted window seating. Upper floors with original
hearths and joinery, and half-glazed screen to landing vestibule.
A carefully-detailed and little-altered Arts and Crafts house of 1893 by the notable architect Ernest Newton, a pupil of Norman Shaw.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings