History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Hall Museum

A Grade II* Listed Building in Dormanstown, Redcar and Cleveland

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5865 / 54°35'11"N

Longitude: -1.0851 / 1°5'6"W

OS Eastings: 459223

OS Northings: 521638

OS Grid: NZ592216

Mapcode National: GBR NHVD.WN

Mapcode Global: WHF80.9ZJ9

Entry Name: Old Hall Museum

Listing Date: 14 June 1952

Last Amended: 29 April 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1139641

English Heritage Legacy ID: 60318

Location: Redcar and Cleveland, TS10

County: Redcar and Cleveland

Electoral Ward/Division: Dormanstown

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Kirkleatham

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Redcar

Listing Text

REDCAR KIRKLEATHAM
NZ 52 SE
4/62 Old Hall Museum (formerly
14.6.52 listed as Kirkleatham
Old Hall
- II*

School, 1708/09, probably by Robert Hooke. Roof renewed c.1900; restored and
C18 and C19 extensions removed 1978-1984. Now a museum. Sandstone ashlar
centre and basement; brick with sandstone dressings to wings and rear.
Welsh slate roof and rebuilt brick stacks. "H"-plan with central school
flanked by houses for master and usher. Tall single-storey, 3-bay centre,
flanked by 2-storey, 2-bay, slightly-projecting wings; all with attic storey
and basement. Central giant Roman Doric order, with triglyphs and guttae,
under continuous heavily-moulded cornice. Pilaster strips to attic storey
and basement. Round-headed central doorway up 6 semicircular steps :
renewed 4-panel double doors, cornice head and fanlight with glazing bars in
panelled reveal; architrave and chamfered-rusticated surround with impost
strings and double keystone. Marble tablet above with inscription recording
school foundation. Flanking paired circular windows, with architraves and
radial glazing, above 2-bay arcading with moulded imposts (archivolts
missing) holding false sashes with glazing bars and moulded sills. Giant
segmental pediment in middle bay of attic storey, flanked by paired square
renewed sashes in architraves. Wings have chamfered quoins, and quoin
strips to basement and attic. Renewed sashes, with glazing bars and moulded
sills in architraves. 2-light mullioned basement windows, blocked or with
renewed louvres. Hipped roof with 2 transverse ridge stacks, behind
straight parapet with string and copings. 7-bay returns have central
renewed 3-panel double doors and blocked overlights in eared architraves
under entablatures with suspended pilasters, up 3 renewed steps. Similar
windows and cornice. Rear shows restored fenestration similar to front, but
with door in plain surround under round-headed window. 2-bay projecting
wings have similar treatment. Inner returns have plain doorways and
mullioned first-floor and attic-floor windows, in angle. Interior: Large
restored central hall with coved ceiling cornice. Ground-floor rooms in
wings have moulded panelled ceilings. East wing has altered dogleg
staircase with turned balusters, square coupled and single, panelled newel
posts and heavily-moulded handrail and string. Foundation stone in basement
of east wing dated 1708. The school still operates as Sir William Turner's
6th Form College, in new premises.


Listing NGR: NZ5937421796

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.